Bike Rack For 2010 Es 350

jgilbert

I am looking for a bike rack for my 2010 ES 350. I am looking for a rack that is secure, plus is easy to install and remove. I had a trunk mounted rack that attached to the trunk with hooks and straps and it was time consuming and frustrating to install. I have a road bike.

Having used a trunk mounted bike rack through the 70's, roof racks (mainly Prealpina) through the 80's, I now wouldn't use anything except a hitch mounted rack. I can plug my bike rack into the hitch receiver on my LS and secure it with it's locking pin in about 60 seconds. Unlike a roof rack, there is no wind noise with a hitch mounted bike rack ... no more damaging the roof when a bike slips while hoisting it onto a roof rack ... no worry about forgetting the roof rack is there and driving into a garage or parking lot with one of those 8' bars to keep trucks out.

I won't go into who makes good hitch bike racks -- there are many. I bought mine in 1990 for about $50 and it is still as good as new. The same place I bought the receiver hitch for my LS has one for your ES: http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2010_Lexus_ES+350.htm Installation is pretty easy.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with 1990LS400. I too had a trailer hitch (Curt #12343) installed on my 2008 ES350 and find it much easier to use than the old trunk rack that I used with my Camry which seemed to put a lot of strain on the trunk lid. I had it installed locally for $95, although the guy said he should have charged me more since it wasn't as easy as it originally looked. I then purchased a Thule 954 Ridgeline 4-bike rack which is easy to mount on the hitch and comes with a locking device to prevent theft. According to the ES350 manual the car can tow up to 1000 lbs. so if I ever need to tow a light trailer/load I suppose I can do that as well.