Check Engine Light

J H N

I have a 2001 LS430. The check engine light came on. I replaced the fuel cap, but the light still stays on. There is no problem with the transmission or engine acceleration. Do I need to take it to a garage?

You need to have the OBDII fault codes read using a code reader, either buy one and do it yourself or take it to a garage for them to do it.

Once you have the code(s) this should indicate where the fault may be.

BTW why did you replace the fuel cap when the light came on?

The owners manual said a fuel cap that is not tight will cause the check engine light to come on. The fuel cap was 12 years old. I bought a new one at Advance Auto Parts. I read that the car computer may need to be reset by disconection the neg wire to the battery for 15 Min. I did this and the check engine light is off.

Just because you reset the computer doesn't mean you fixed the problem. Sometimes it may take putting on 100 miles before the check light shows up again. If it does come on again, take it to an Advance Auto or other auto parts store to get the code read usually for free. My guess it is an O2 sensor going bad and a slight exhaust leak can cause problems too. The O2 sensors are going to go bad someday. My check light has come on several times, one was O2 sensor, another was knock sensor and another was exhaust leak.

2001 LS430 150K miles and purring like a kitten.

I just bought a new fuel tank cap seal #77316 16010 for mine:

No mini hijack intended but where did you buy this seal ? Lexus Dealer?

Thanks!

I just bought a new fuel tank cap seal #77316 16010 for mine:

No mini hijack intended but where did you buy this seal ? Lexus Dealer?

Thanks!

From Lexus, 1999 USA Specfication LS400 Part Number is 77316-16010 $16.53

Thanks Steve2006 and Legender! Just made a shortcut to that site. I have the 99 for less the a month but I feel like I've owned it much longer. You guuys are awesome, Thank you so much!

You were all right. My check engine light came on again. I took it to AutoZone and the OBDII scan showed PO135 which means the O2 sensor is bad. I will take it in Friday. Will it hurt it to drive my car with a bad O2 sensor?

I had a P0135 Check light, Bank 1 Sensor 1 - Driver's side (left front) on exhaust header. Lexus #
89465-50120 / Denso OEM # 234-4138 / Denso Universal # 234-4209 / Bosch OEM # 13441 / Bosch Universal # 15733

First off, It is never a good idea to drive around with a "Check" engine light on. I took my LS430 to a friend of a friends shop and he gave me an excellent price on the 02 replacement. I purchased the O2 sensor from the Pembroke Pines Lexus who at one time gave the best price for OEM sensors. (not sure if they still do). The shop had a very hard time getting this sensor out, even with the best of tools and skill. I let them do my timing belt replacement and did a great job at a good price too. If you take it to a Lexus dealer, it can get pretty pricy, so shop around. Give the Forum the area you are from and maybe someone knows or has posted a good shop in your area you can trust your baby to.

Hope this helps,

jz