My 400H Is Completely, Totally, Dead! Please Help!

Please help--

My 2007 RX400h is completely dead. It will not even think about turning over. My husband is out of the country on business.

I drove the car last night. I did not leave the lights on; I parked it as normal. Went out there today to run an errand and alll power is totally gone.

We got the car in December and have not had one single problem with it.

I don't have any idea what to do.

I can't even reach jumper cables into it because of how it is positioned in the garage. It won't shift to neutral to try to push it out of the garage. The only thing I can think of is getting it towed to a dealership and of course there isn't one in my town. I don't even know how the tow truck would get to it.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

I'm going to guess that the 12V "ICE" battery is dead. If it's never been replaced, it's way overdue and if it's been over 4 years for the replacement, it could be shot. Mine started losing the ability to hold a charge at 3.5 years and was replaced under warranty.

Someone else will hopefully give you specific directions, but there should be a way to "override" the "shifter lock" and slide it into neutral. THIS PROCEDURE SHOULD BE IN THE MANUAL AND MIGHT BE FOUND IN A SEARCH ON THE FORUM.

I also found this on the other Lexus forum:

"at the top left of the shift plate just above the "P" for park there is a little slot, take a small screw driver and insert it into the slot and it will release your park lock and you will be able to shift to neutral!"

IF YOU'RE GOING TO PUSH THE VEHICLE OUT OF YOUR GARAGE TAKE EVERY PRECAUTION THAT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO STOP IT!!! My driveway is sloped down and it could be a real disaster if someone isn't in the vehicle to hit the brakes. PLUS, you will not have full stopping power on the braking system with the engine off.

Finally, the battery is likely to be under a plastic shield/cover that is held in place by "pushpins." You push DOWN on the center of the "pushpin" and it releases. It's a little trickier to put them back in place.

GOOD LUCK AND BE CAREFUL!

Yes, if you're not getting any lights on the dash at all, it almost certainly is the 12V battery under the hood. You can get a good one with 100 month warranty at Costco for about $65, or any auto parts store. Try this first before towing! The dealer will charge you a fortune for towing and labor.

I'm going to guess that the 12V "ICE" battery is dead. If it's never been replaced, it's way overdue and if it's been over 4 years for the replacement, it could be shot. Mine started losing the ability to hold a charge at 3.5 years and was replaced under warranty.

Someone else will hopefully give you specific directions, but there should be a way to "override" the "shifter lock" and slide it into neutral. THIS PROCEDURE SHOULD BE IN THE MANUAL AND MIGHT BE FOUND IN A SEARCH ON THE FORUM.

I also found this on the other Lexus forum:

"at the top left of the shift plate just above the "P" for park there is a little slot, take a small screw driver and insert it into the slot and it will release your park lock and you will be able to shift to neutral!"

IF YOU'RE GOING TO PUSH THE VEHICLE OUT OF YOUR GARAGE TAKE EVERY PRECAUTION THAT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO STOP IT!!! My driveway is sloped down and it could be a real disaster if someone isn't in the vehicle to hit the brakes. PLUS, you will not have full stopping power on the braking system with the engine off.

Finally, the battery is likely to be under a plastic shield/cover that is held in place by "pushpins." You push DOWN on the center of the "pushpin" and it releases. It's a little trickier to put them back in place.

GOOD LUCK AND BE CAREFUL!

Good advice! Perhaps a neighbor can help?