Timing Belt Replacement Question For 04 Es330

My wife's 04 ES330 has 45k miles, but is now 9 years old. The maintenance schedule suggests replacing the timing belt after 90k miles or 9 years. Do you all think I should get it done this year?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

• Like 1

By the durability of these belts I would think you would be ok...But I know many others will say the time issue is important. One way is to remove the upper cover and check the condition of the belt.....

• Like 1

By the durability of these belts I would think you would be ok...But I know many others will say the time issue is important. One way is to remove the upper cover and check the condition of the belt.....

Yes my wife has a 2003 ES300 with over 125K miles and I'm finally will check the timing belt but everyday I turn on the car I feel nervous driving it.

There is, perhaps, a more salient question to ask. When did you last have the coolant changed? You see the water pump seizing up is a much more likely scenario to snap the belt than is the belt to just fail on its own. The coolant is important to have change every five years or so because it keeps the pump lubricated and seals supple. The coolant does break down over time and will not lubricate as well as when new.

Being in hot Florida, your belt has seen some pretty high temps over the years. I do not think you are in any immediate danger (depending upon coolant change frequency) but you should probably be saving your pennies for a timing belt and water pump replacement within the next several years.

• Like 1

Your suggestion regarding changing the coolant is interesting. The maintenance schedule says change it after 100K miles - so I've never changed it. I bought the car with 20k miles on it when it was 2 years old, so it likely still has the factory fill. I'm thinking I'll get both jobs done this year. Again, thanks.

• Like 1

That is interesting about the 100k replacement interval for coolant. They also do not necessarily recommend replacing the water pump(unless it is leaking) with timing belt but I would not even dream of doing the timing belt without changing the pump.

My personal experience is to change coolant every 3 to 5 years regardless of mileage. It just goes bad after some time.

• 2 months later...

The special pre mixed 50/50 Toyota- Extended Life Anti Freeze is good for 10 years or 160,000km( color Pink) should last at least that long, the water pump and timeing belt are part of 90,000 mile maint., you can see the timeing belt but not water pump,the sensors will tell you if anything is amiss, I wouldn't worry about it till 60K, then get the 90,000 mile done along with antifreeze change. My car came from Fla, and I was also worried about belt, I had it changed along with water pump, cam bearings, the belt wasn't dried out and was ok, at 60k, the pink fluid was checked with rheometer and lubricity was good. Do the 90,000 at 60,000 and you will have peace of mind.