Dealer Price For Alignment And Battery

Water pump on my 08 IS250 failed, making a lot of noise.

Water pump is being replaced under powertrain warranty. Mechanic is recommanding me to do 4 wheel alignment and he also says battery is low and recommands new battery.

I already have done 4 wheel alignment at local shop instead of dealer, but did not fix problem with inside of tire wearing out baddly. I was told this was normal for IS, but if dealer price was ok I was willing to do it.

Price they qouted me was $170. Much higher than local shops I have been to. ($70 - 80)

Also price to replace battery was $185. I could get battery from costco for $60 - $70 and replace it myself in minutes, and local shop will probably charge little over $100.

Are these prices really normal for lexus dealers? or are they just tring to rip me off ?

Apples to apples .

The Lexus battery is a prorated battery (84 month). And is made by interstate. Fair price , ask if they can help out.

Did you take the car back to the alignment shop after you found out the alignment didn't fix the problem? It is common , there is no camber adjustment , spec tire on a IS only last 20 to 25 K anyway.

Good catch on the water pump.

Battery's have become ultra important key on voltage can't go below 9.5 volts while cranking or the ECM won't turn on.

As technicians we always advise of needed repairs we don't set pricing the market and the area does . Customers always have a simple choice a yes or a no .

Apples to apples .

The Lexus battery is a prorated battery (84 month). And is made by interstate. Fair price , ask if they can help out.

Did you take the car back to the alignment shop after you found out the alignment didn't fix the problem? It is common , there is no camber adjustment , spec tire on a IS only last 20 to 25 K anyway.

Battery's have become ultra important key on voltage can't go below 9.5 volts while cranking or the ECM won't turn on.

As technicians we always advise of needed repairs we don't set pricing the market and the area does . Customers always have a simple choice a yes or a no .

Well.

Costco Kirkland Battery is also prorated. 3 year free replacement, 100 month prorated. As far as I know they are made by Johnson Controls and they are the same company that makes Intersate.

I do not think any battery would like 100 month. I believe they are doing this so that customer buy battery from Costco again with a little discount.

Only down side I found was you must be Costco member to get warranty replacement. So, if you cancel Costco membership, warranty is gone with it.

I was told battery is low, but not sure what they meant by low. Probably voltage was little lower than full charge. Since it is original battery on 2008 model, it probably is about time to change it.

For alignment, even service rep from dealer said it is normal for IS. But mechanic did not know if I did alighment on it and he recommanded it because they recommand alignment to be done every 10,000 miles. (Which I don't see point if tires are going to go bad anyway)

I'm not complaining about technician's recommandations. Just repair prices at dealer.

The alignment price seems a bit high, and I really would not want them doing it (since I have access to a very good custom wheel/tire shop in my area that I've used for 10 years). Battery I'd let them do it, as I plan to do when my 2007 battery finally dies.

Is your car lowered? If not you may find relief with the FIGS lower control arm replacement bushings they sell for the front. SPC also has an adjustable upper ball joint. Take a look at this thread, it may surprise you what goes on in front :)

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f/645343-front-f-bushing-offering-and-eye-opening-video-inside.html

Is your car lowered? If not you may find relief with the FIGS lower control arm replacement bushings they sell for the front. SPC also has an adjustable upper ball joint. Take a look at this thread, it may surprise you what goes on in front :)

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f/645343-front-f-bushing-offering-and-eye-opening-video-inside.html

It is not lowered. It is in original setting.

Does it also happen with stock setting?

Yes, Lexus used allot of caster in the front and the camber also changes as a result as you turn the wheel,...you can see this very clearly from outside. There is no front suspension adjustment except toe :( So unless you go for the FIGS fully adjustable front lower control arms and stiffer bushings your STUCK with the inner tire wear! Every summer I swap my front tires on the rims to even out the wear,...but then again mine is lowered.:)

Apples to apples .

Well.

Costco Kirkland Battery is also prorated. 3 year free replacement, 100 month prorated. As far as I know they are made by Johnson Controls and they are the same company that makes Intersate.

I do not think any battery would like 100 month. I believe they are doing this so that customer buy battery from Costco again with a little discount.

Only down side I found was you must be Costco member to get warranty replacement. So, if you cancel Costco membership, warranty is gone with it.

I was told battery is low, but not sure what they meant by low. Probably voltage was little lower than full charge. Since it is original battery on 2008 model, it probably is about time to change it.

For alignment, even service rep from dealer said it is normal for IS. But mechanic did not know if I did alighment on it and he recommanded it because they recommand alignment to be done every 10,000 miles. (Which I don't see point if tires are going to go bad anyway)

I'm not complaining about technician's recommandations. Just repair prices at dealer.

Can't help you with the alignment, but as far as the battery is concerned, If I were you I would buy this http://www.amazon.com/Multi-12-Volt-Smart-Battery-Charger/dp/B000FQBWCY/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1363393989&sr=1-1&keywords=ctech+battery+charger and connect it to the battery for a full week. If I'm not mistaken, Porsches come with such charger. I have two chargers and they do a great job.

Take the time to read some of the reviews.

Owned Porsches, none came with that. Parts did sell a battery-maintainer that plugged into cig lighter. Batteries lasted 4 years in typical garage queen/weekend duty.

Owned Porsches, none came with that. Parts did sell a battery-maintainer that plugged into cig lighter. Batteries lasted 4 years in typical garage queen/weekend duty.

"I need a replacement for my Porsche Dual-Mode Battery Charger. I made a note that it is really made by CTEK and I recall reading that it can be ordered on ebay but I did not make a note of the model number of the unit. Can someone help?"

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/997-forum/558315-which-ctek-battery-charger-and-installation-issues.html

"CTEK Smarter Chargers are of the highest-quality engineering, but don’t take our word for it. CTEK is the preferred battery charger for some of the most prestigious engineering brands in the world: Porsche, Audi, Lamborghini, Bentley Motors, Scania AB, BMW, Rolls-Royce Motor Cars, Chevrolet (Corvette), Ferrari, Alfa Romeo S.p.A., Maybach-Motorenbau GmbH, Aston Martin, Arctic Cat, Yamaha Motor Company, Maserati, Mercedes, and more. Plus, they are available at an affordable cost."

http://smartercharger.com/benefits/

Scroll to the bottom of the page http://www.ctek.com/int/en/

I used to buy Kirkland batteries for my cars and they lasted 8 - 11 years. Mind you, when I do not use a car for more than 3 weeks, I always connect it to the ctek 24/7. Hope it helps.

Can't help you with the alignment, but as far as the battery is concerned, If I were you I would buy this http://www.amazon.com/Multi-12-Volt-Smart-Battery-Charger/dp/B000FQBWCY/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1363393989&sr=1-1&keywords=ctech+battery+charger and connect it to the battery for a full week. If I'm not mistaken, Porsches come with such charger. I have two chargers and they do a great job.

If you need such a charger on car that is driven often, something is really wrong with your car's electrical system. Alternator not being able to produce enough current or devices on your car using too much.

Battery on my car is original and may need to be replaced in couple of years, but I would use it until I need a jump.

If you need such a charger on car that is driven often, something is really wrong with your car's electrical system. Alternator not being able to produce enough current or devices on your car using too much.

Battery on my car is original and may need to be replaced in couple of years, but I would use it until I need a jump.

Like I wrote in the post following the one you quoted, I use such charger when I won't be using a car for more than 3 weeks in a row. I have too many toys and can only drive one at a time.

I should move away from the city and buy a four/five cars garage ;) Wonder if the wife will go for it... lol!!!

One more thing, if I recall properly, the owner's manual of the RX 350 states that the battery should not be charged with more than a 5 Amps charger, or it could explode, or something to that effect.

Also, CTEK has updated its products. It is best to visit their web page. The MXS 5.0 seems like an ideal product.

One more thing, if I recall properly, the owner's manual of the RX 350 states that the battery should not be charged with more than a 5 Amps charger, or it could explode, or something to that effect.

Also, CTEK has updated its products. It is best to visit their web page. The MXS 5.0 seems like an ideal product.

Any battery can be damaged by those high current fast chargers.

High current charging is bad for battery and no battery manufacturer would recommand using one.

Also, when lead acid battery is charged at high current, it can overheat and also can produce hydrogen gas. That is what can cause explosion.

Any battery can be damaged by those high current fast chargers.

High current charging is bad for battery and no battery manufacturer would recommand using one.

Also, when lead acid battery is charged at high current, it can overheat and also can produce hydrogen gas. That is what can cause explosion.

The ones I use produce between 0.8 and 3.2 Amps. The MXS 5.0 produces up to 5 Amps, which is within what Lexus recommend, as per owner's manual of my RX 350.