Oil Changes

Johnny Vac

I bought a 2011 ISF with 2,000 miles on last year! It's my 1 st Lexus and I must say very impressive car. It's what I was looking for and more! My question is I do not drive the car much and I have long periods between oil changes. I live in western Pennsylvania and do not drive the car from November to April when the weather is good and the salt is off the roads. Is there any harm with what I am doing. Would be glad to here anyone's comments.

Thank you

Johnny Vac

Hi Johnny and welcome to the club!

If I understand your statement correctly, it is the period from November through April that you don't drive the car.

I am not a mechanic and still have some old school ideas. With the new materials, synthetics, and electronics vs. the old manual controls, makes todays Lexus an extremely durable and reliable work of technology. I suppose that by simply putting a trickle charger on the battery, the IS could be stored for 6 months with no problems.

However, my old school days feel that any car should be driven for a half-hour or so once a month. I think it's good to keep all the moving parts lubricated and properly seated. The transmission and fluid could be warmed and seals and gears thouroughly lubricated.

It's a small chore and in my opinion worth the effort.

Paul