Brakes Make Loud Squeaking Noise In Very Cold Weather(Like 5F)

2v1g

I have a 06 LS430. I notice my brakes work fine in the summer, but in the winter when temperature drops to like 5F, it starts to make loud squeaking noise every time I steps on the brake. I brought my car to the lexus dealer and they couldn’t find anything wrong. They even cleaned the brakes, but that didn’t help. I even bring my car to Midas (independent mechanical shop) to check and they couldn’t find anything wrong with the brake.

Any ideas? I bought my car in 2011 and my braking pads still have lots of life left. How can I tell if my braking pads are OEM lexus pads?

I bought my car at 75K miles. Now after 1.5 years, it is at 85K. I think the brake pads must be changed before I bought the car because there is plenty of life left.

I don’t know if the rotors warm or not when they squeal.

My lexus service manager said it is normal to for metal brakes to make squeal noise in cold weather, but my car is only one make noise when I stop on the street. It is warmer (30F) outside today and the brake stop squeal.

By 75k miles, most LS's would have the front pads changed but the rear *usually* last until 100k or so. Again, without actually hearing the squeal/squeak/whatever, I would think it is the brake pad material. About the only option you have left is to have new, high quality (OEM) pads put on the car along with (perhaps) having the rotors trued up. Either that or turn the radio up.

Something is strange here. The brakes will only be cold before the first serious stop. Brakes convert kinetic energy into heat. That energy conversion is what brings car to a stop. If you are saying that they squeal even after several stops on a cold day then it is a bit puzzling because the pads and rotor won't be at ambient temperature any longer.

I wonder if the rotors have some surface rust due to moisture and it takes a few stops to grind off the surface rust? Doesn't seem likely to be the problem though.