Decision Time: 2013 Touareg Vs. Rx350 Awd

Hi,

I am new to this forum and Trying to replace wife's 2006 Corrola LE. We test drove the VW 2013 Touareg (both VR6 and TDI models) and liked them a lot. Of course the diesel is a lot of fun, but my wide will be alright with gasoline engine as well (our other "fun" vehicle is a 2008 Infiniti G).

The next vehicle we were considering (but have not had a had chance to test drive) was the 2013 RX 350 AWD. Since we live in MN, we would prefer the AWD (w/ winter tires), and were currently looking for at least the premium and comfort packages. We plan to lease either vehicle for 3 years, and typically stay within the 10k mile range per year. We don't do a whole lot of off-roading, and want the extra cargo and legroom space (hence ruling out X3 or Q5 - at least initially).

I'm sure forum members have compared both the vehicles and would like to get some inputs.

Best regards!

Hi Metalblaze and welcome to the Club! We hope you enjoy being a member.

I have zip experience with the VW excep for feed back from friends. However, while I was waiting for my 2013 ES350 to come from the factory, the dealer loaned me a 2013 RX350 for six weeks and I was able to give it a pretty good evaluation, admitidly just my opinion ( and as my wife reminds me, thats a continual victim of deflation).

The RX has a remarkable smooth ride for it's size and especially it's tire size. It handled corners and quick lane changes well, not Formula 1, but very competent. There is some roll in corners that I'm not used to since I drive sedans, but I quickly adapted.

The power from the 6 cyl is good for the weight and I wasn't afraid to punch it for a quick pass around a car in front of me.

Inside, the cabin is very comfortable and well appointed. The dash is well layed out. Standard features are abundant, and storage spaces every where. I did not like the sound system, but then I'm pretty picky about sound reproduction.

The Parchment interior is beautiful, but choose another color if you have a family with young children..

Please give it a drive before you settle for something else. In my opinion, beyond the Lexus if you decide on something similar, you will be doing just that, settling for less.

Hope this has been helpful,

Paul

We just purchased a 2013 RX 350 and I looked at several like vehicles. I looked at the Tourag at the auto show and was quite impressed. What makes the Lexus stand out IMO is the fit and finish, comfort and economy. After doing my research, I told my wife that the Lexus brand was the nicest. The day we went out shopping/looking we drove a Cadillac SRX, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Acura RDX and looked at a Volvo. When we got to the Lexus dealership I stayed in the Acura that we borrowed from down the street. I could tell by the look on my wife's face she found her new ride. Our dealership was and has been awesome in everyway. I sold cars for 10 years and personally had very high CSI. When I brought her Lexus to the dealer Lexus of Seattle to have some accessories installed, I'd just opened my door and this gal asked me if I wanted a mocha. I don't think that would happen at a VW dealership and none that I know of. Good Luck