Ls400 Front Brake Caliper

fireboy

Wasn't aware there was a single piston caliper on any Lexus, my 1994 has twin pot sliding calipers.

My 1997 import has 4 pot Sumitomo calipers which can be fitted on earlier models with modifications and provided your wheels will then fit over the caliper as they are bigger.

Thanks Steve. I doubled checked parts sites and you are correct. I must have misread and mistaken the rear caliper for front. Wanted to get away from uneven piston travel; have replaced calipers three times.

Time #4 is imminent. Thanks again!

fireboy, a silicone-based lube is said to be best for lubing the slide pins. It sounds very unusual to me that you have had to replace the calipers 3x already. Old, contaminated brake fluid can gum up any new caliper piston in a hurry so I am wondering if you have ever flushed the system. Also, if the flexible brake hose feeding the caliper is old, it can begin to collapse internally(may look 'ok' from the outside) but will not fully release the pressure when you let off the brake pedal. Gives the symptoms of a sticking caliper. BTW, what are the symptoms/braking characteristics that lead you to replace the caliper?

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a replacement Aisan caliper at BAP Geon maybe 7 years ago and it has been perfect. I do grease the caliper pins rather on a rather regular basis. Before I did that Delaware charged me $112.50 for a red light ticke because the thing was binding. The caliper cost me $97.