Obdii 505 / Cel / Trac Off 1998 Sc400

Greets all, my CEL light has come on for the first time on my '98 SC400 and the TRAC OFF light is also on. An OBDII reader indicates error code 505 in the powertrain. I've scoured the web and the best I can find for that code is that it relates to the IAC valve. The car is running fine though. It has about 115000 miles on it, and I've not changed the plugs or O2 sensors yet (that's in the queue).

If it is the IAC valve, please tell me there is a way to remove and clean or replace it without taking the intake manifold off...

Thanks in advance for the help,

James

• 1 month later...

Should be in the front of the engine and is round. You shouldnt have to take the intake off to access. The hardest thing to remove is the upper radiator line and the darn little screws that holds it in place. I would just rebuild it with new bearings and clean the snot out of it with carb cleaner. Remember there is a coolant line on the side of it so also remove it and top off the coolant beofre you test out the unit. You can also check the polarity of it while it is out to see what the resistance is. I have the pdf for this engine, so PM me if needed the info.. Good luck.