Broken Wheel Lug (Lock) Tool

2ton

Each wheel on my '04 LS 430 (17"rim) has a special lock lug requiring a special tool to remove. My wheel lug (lock) tool broke yesterday trying to remove a wheel. The lug was on really tight, requiring a breaker bar which broke off the inside part of the tool.

The tool was contained in a small blue pouch in the trunk. Is this a Lexus tool or a generic brand?

Has anyone had a similar issue and a remedy?

Thanks

Hey, I found a McGard key registration card in the glove box with the key numbers. I called McGard and they are sending a new key, total cost $15.00

The rep said use NO lubricant on the lug threads, just clean and dry.

Torque to same torque as the normal lugs, which is 76 ft-lb (103 N-m) for the '04 LS430.

Using the torque wrench, use BOTH hands, one on the end, the other on the head of the wrench. Push IN and tighten to torque setting.

DO NOT let the wheel changers use the IMPACT wrench to tighten any alloy wheel lug nut!

TIP: stand outside the tire shop first and watch them put on someone else's alloy wheels, BEFORE you let them do your car! If they are using the impact wrench to TIGHTEN alloy wheels (like they do at Costco and other low-cost tire dealers), go elsewhere or demand to have hand torqued wheels on your car WHILE YOU WATCH. Keeps them honest. Keeps from breaking another tool as well.

Wish I did! (Did I really save $200 going to Costco for tires?) :chairshot:

I would go to Costco and talk to the manager and tell them what happened....I personally dont like Costco tires purchases anymore as they hassle you if you have a blow out and have to replace one tire when the others are worn....TireRack.com is my choice now, they have been fantastic.

I did check tire rack as I have ordered there before, but of course I was in a hurry to have new tires for a trip, and Tire Rack takes time and was way more costly (with shipping) as I recall than Costco.