Lexus Vs Toyota Service

I own two 2008 ES350's. A gold one that is a basic model and is my daily driver. And a Maroon ultra with everything except ML audio. It has the premium audio. I knew that there would be a difference in cost between the Lexus and Toyota service. What I found was eye opening.

I took the Maroon one in to Lexus for it's 40,000 mile checkup and oil change. It cost me $284.60. Then I took the Gold one in to Toyota for its 15,000 (Yes Fifteen thousand) mile checkup and oil change. The work that both service departments was nearly identical. The Toyota did a 32 point inspection and cost me $0.00. (Yes, nothing) The Lexus dealer charged me $146.03 for a 16 point inspection. Toyota gave a detailed check list, while Lexus gave me a printed list of the checks that the mechanic should have done. (I have No reason to doubt the mechanic) I had both cars changed over to the synthetic oil, the tires rotated, a new cabin filter but did not get an Air cleaner. I have K & N Filters in both.

The final totals are:

Lexus = $284.60

Toyota = $123.10.

I believe that the service was nearly identical at both dealerships. Think that I will be taking both cars to Toyota from now on.

One thing to keep in mind is that you might not get critical and non-critical TSIB work done at a Toyota dealer. I've had an incredible amount of warranty work done on my Lexus cars at Lexus dealers without my asking while the cars were under warranty. Be sure to check for outstanding TSIB's and take your cars to a Lexus dealer for any work they dictate. Also be aware, as I have been reminded by my nearby Toyota dealer several times, Toyota parts purchased from or installed by a Toyota dealer will not be warrantied like the same parts would be had they been purchased/installed by a Lexus dealer. Ask your Toyota dealer if he concurs.

I have been taking my Lexus in for service at the Lexus service center and, yes, they charge an arm and a leg. They toss some free donuts at you and make you think it's all worth it. I am considering taking my Lexus (it's leased anyway) to Pep Boys for my next oil change. Do you all know if Pep Boys and other similar body shops have the capability to reset the oil change warning light and set it to illuminate again 5000 miles later? Or can that sort of thing only doable at the Lexus service center?

I have been taking my Lexus in for service at the Lexus service center and, yes, they charge an arm and a leg. They toss some free donuts at you and make you think it's all worth it. I am considering taking my Lexus (it's leased anyway) to Pep Boys for my next oil change. Do you all know if Pep Boys and other similar body shops have the capability to reset the oil change warning light and set it to illuminate again 5000 miles later? Or can that sort of thing only doable at the Lexus service center?

Shops that do a lot of oil changes will know how to rest the oil change reminder light. Instructions are also in the owners manual so owners can reset it too.

The difference between taking your Lexus for service to a Lexus dealer instead of someone else might be what happened to me.... at 30,000, Lexus inspected my brakes and found a warped front rotor. They replaced both rotors and front brake pads no charge. I'll spend a few extra bucks to get that kind of service.

Steve G.

That is one valid point. When you have a relationship with a dealer and a service consultant over time they will take care of you when something like this happens. At 30k miles a warped rotor isn't really a warranty repair, but he could classify it under some TSB or something and get it covered for you. If you were just some guy of the street they wouldn't go out on a limb as much.

I think your title says it. "service,". My ES has a slight pull to the right. Nearest Lexus dealer is 3 hours away. So went to local Toyota dealer today to have alignment checked out. Saw people around a desk in service bay. Waited for 3 people to be done before I stated my business. It wasn't a service desk. Manager directed me to service desk. Stood in line with about 5 people in front of me. After 10 minutes I thought the heck with this. Also plan on switching to synthetic oil, so will have it all done at Lexus. There, I'm barely out of car before someone is opening the door for me, having a smoothie while paperwork is being readied, and someone approaching me with the offer of a nice loaner vehicle if I choose. The service is the best at Lexus.

• 7 months later...

I own two 2008 ES350's. A gold one that is a basic model and is my daily driver. And a Maroon ultra with everything except ML audio. It has the premium audio. I knew that there would be a difference in cost between the Lexus and Toyota service. What I found was eye opening.

I took the Maroon one in to Lexus for it's 40,000 mile checkup and oil change. It cost me $284.60. Then I took the Gold one in to Toyota for its 15,000 (Yes Fifteen thousand) mile checkup and oil change. The work that both service departments was nearly identical. The Toyota did a 32 point inspection and cost me $0.00. (Yes, nothing) The Lexus dealer charged me $146.03 for a 16 point inspection. Toyota gave a detailed check list, while Lexus gave me a printed list of the checks that the mechanic should have done. (I have No reason to doubt the mechanic) I had both cars changed over to the synthetic oil, the tires rotated, a new cabin filter but did not get an Air cleaner. I have K & N Filters in both.

The final totals are:

Lexus = $284.60

Toyota = $123.10.

I believe that the service was nearly identical at both dealerships. Think that I will be taking both cars to Toyota from now on.

That is good to hear as I am making the switch from Lexus to Toyota and save myself a 300 mile round trip to the dealer.