Rx 300 Front Wheel Bearing

HarleyBB

You will have to remove the entire hub assembly...THis envolves removing the brake caliper, disk, and unhook the shock strut, and remove the ball joint so as to free the hub...The axle nut will have to be removed (217 ft lbs) and knock the axle out of the hub. ONce the hub is removed from the car the bearing will have to be pressed out (requires a hydraulic press 12 ton or more) and the new bearing pressed in. Good half days work for the do it yourself guys..The axle nut will have to be torqued to 217 ft lbs. Also forgot the speed sensor for the abs will have to be unhooked prior to removing the axle. If you google how to replace wheel bearing on Toyotas there are sites that post pictures with tips... If you dont have a press your local auto parts or machine shop can handle the job...

here is a great thread on Toyota nation on a highlander which is exactly like the Lexus:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/107-camry-solara-lounge/255035-diy-front-wheel-bearing-r-r.html

• Like 1

I will make one suggestion, I personally have a press, but it is not a task that most of us diy do....Damage to the hub or the new bearing can happen real easy...Go to a reputable machine shop that has done this procedure before. The going rate is $25 to $45 to perform the pressing of the bearing. I have done two (2) myself, first one went without a hitch, the second appeared to go well until I put the hub back together....I bent the hub itself. that sucked and ended up costing an additional $280 for a new hub...Oh well live and learn, It should have been $37 for the bearing and I would have been done...Just be careful....