Ls400 Wood Colors

drivernuts

The Lexus website described the standard wood of the 98-00 LS400 as "Walnut interior trim" - kind of dark. The 2000 Platinum Series LS400 had "Bird's-eye maple interior trim" which is lighter and red-ish in color. You can see the Bird's-eye maple color in this photo of my car from my gallery: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?app=galleryℑ=816

On my '99 the wood is much lighter than a walnut. I work with exotic wood veneers but can't identify the species. It's an amber color with red overtones. It doesn't appear to have faded except on the small strip between the center vent and the climate control and on top of the steering wheel. All of the wood on the interior still matches in color. Some of wood dash kit manufacturers advertise a factory match but I am sure it won't be anywhere close to the wood I now have. I wanted to get a couple of pieces out of their kit for the climate and radio to finish off that area but I may well be out of luck on that. I ordered some samples from Remin and will see what I can come up with.

Its absolutely california walnut, straight out of the brochure when we bought our 98 LS new. New the wood was pretty dark. The 99 is absolutely unchanged from the 98 except for daytime running lights.

Over time the wood in that 98 lightened CONSIDERABLY to the point where it was actually very light when it was traded.

• 2 months later...

The Remin OEM factory match is "Real Japanese Cherry" wood. But the wood in my 99LS400 (non platinum edition) has brightened to the point where the Remin "Real Walnut Burl" wood seems to be a much closer match. I have purchased over 15 samples (even multiple samples of the same wood) to test color matches.

I have not ordered the kit as of yet however