Brake Light Indicator Coming On - Help !

On my 99 ES 300 the dashboard indicator for a failed tail light is on. According to the owners manual if it comes on when you press the brake then it is a brake light- all the bulbs are working - running light, turn signals and brake lights, replaced both dual filament bulbs but the dash light comes back on when I press the brake pedal.

Any ideas??????????????

Oh and all the lights in the trunk lid are working too

i had this same issue with my mercedes, all the bulbs where working also, it seems if the bulb is going bad it will give an error. basicaly what your going to have to do is pull out all the bubs in the back i mean all of them, then check to see if they are dark in any way if they are replace the bulb, when replacing the bulb put some of that electrcal grease on the contacts. also double check the bulb type for the socket that its going in. somtime people put the wrong wattage bulb in.

im sure this will solve your problem.

well in all honesty the first one I replaced had a silver looking burn spot on it but is working fine- and when replaced didn't solve it- and the bulb number is correct,- it's been raining cats and dogs it may have a minimimal ground short causing the light to throw even though it's working- time will tell I guess- but by all means keep posting all suggestions are welcome

I'm no amatuer *LOL* in the last 2-3 months I have replaced the drivers door window regulator, both knock sensors, valve cover gaskets, all 4 struts, all 4 brake pads and rotors, and the timing belt and still have a emissions code present that will require a smoke test to resolve but this new light is frustrating and logic says the first swapped bulb should have fixed that. (SIDE NOTE : I have the hookup on some real sweet prices on the web for genuine Lexus/toyota parts real cheap- I've saved thousands)

The third brake light was OK?

BINGO !!!...............I was asked that question earlier today *LOL* and felt real dumb..............................

can you tell I started driving before 1979 *LOL*

and yes upon inspection after getting it out it looks to be the culprit- and boy does the Haynes Manual have that removal all wrong

the haynes manual sucks like i said there is a 1997 manual floating around in this forum but that is the only year i can find but it should be ok for your year. anyways like i said all the bulbs look ok but there is one there that is bad or going bad. i had this issue and ended up changing dam near all the bulbs.

i noticed on your posting you replaced the replaced the drivers door regulator, it looks like whoever owned my car before did the same job and now the window is making noise on the freeway leeking air. do you have the same issue?

I did but there are adjustments on the window rail that change the in out position at the top- they are a real pain to get right because you adjust them while the three 10mm bolts are loose, they are white plastic and look like spacers on the backsdie of the window rail - but it lets you push the top in and stop the air- to be honest mine still makes a very tiny bit of noise but couldn't get it any better, 14 year old card and all :geek: