Changing Fog Lights

drivernuts

I need to change out the bulbs in my '99 LS fog lamps and the lens doesn't seem to want to come off. I don't want to crack it so does anybody know how the lens comes off? I could see only one screw that holds it on.

Thanks for any  info.

The "lens" is permanently glued to the foglight housing - it doesn't come off. The bulbs plug into the back of the foglight housing. One way to change a foglight bulb is to remove enough of the fasterners holding the fender liner to the wheel well so that you can slip your hand in and change the bulb.

If you are changing the bulbs thinking that new ones will increase light output, first check the condition of the foglight lens surfaces. Light output of the foglights on my similar 2000 LS400 increased dramatically after I restored the foglight lenses to like new condition with a Crystal View headlight lens restoration kit. Other good lens restoration kits are available - the good ones have a sealer that prevents the lenses from deteriorating again.

Shoulda asked this in my first question. The manual calls for an H4 bulb. Is that right? The H4's I use on my other car are for headlights and they have the old style 3-metal prongs for ground, Hi and Low.

The 98-00 LS400 foglights use single filament 9006 bulbs and not double filament H4/9003/HB2 bulbs. Some people swear by modifying 9005 bulbs to fit the 9006 bulb sockets to get a bit more light output without (supposedly) causing extra glare for oncoming drivers but I've not tried that. If you are interested in that, google something like "modify 9005 bulbs to fit 9006 sockets' - there are lots of instructions out there. The 98-00 LS400 foglights are probably the worst performing foglights I've experienced except for the ones on the 1956 Mercedes SL I drove as a kid in the 60's. The foglights on the 90 LS400 I drove for many years were far superior than the ones on my 2000 LS400 although its headlights were horrible.

Once you have the fog light assembly out, pull back the rubber boot (look at how it is installed before you take it off) and set it aside. There is a spring clip which you depresses and lift up allowing the bulb to be removed. I had a hard time finding the bulb as not one auto parts store had one and I was told it is a dealer item. I went to the Lexus dealership and they don't stock it, special order. Now I get them when I go to the junkyard. I have an extra set of fog lights in stock. While you're at it, I would remove the two Phillips screws and remove the inner container. It is pretty easy to break the yellow glass just do it over a trash can. Then your fog lights will be white and much brighter. Very easy to do.

Oh sorry, hey 90 how it going?

It's going well. I hope the OP understands that your instructions on breaking the yellow glass in the foglight units apply only to the 90-94 LS400 and not to his 99 LS400. Ah, Virginia Beach - one of my favorite tourist towns.

I love it here. Fabulous place to live with a temperate climate to boot. Didn't see his was a 99, thought it said 94 but I'll have to blame NCAA basketball for that. My multitasking skills are apparently deficient. Big improvement to remove the yellow. I do have a set of backups from the junkyard with the yellow glass intact in case i ever need them. Big pollen here right now so I have the LS covered for now.