58K Miles And Check Engine Light Comes On?

Mel M

07, turned 58,000 miles and right at the change my check engine light comes on! Coincidence?

A Check VSC message and the little skidding car icon appears. I tried to put my OBDII scanner on it and I couldn't get any codes.

Anyone have this problem?

That is odd that it would come on right at 50k. Maybe a serivce is due at 50k and this is a reminder? Might not hurt to look in your owners manual or call a dealer and ask them.

I am not a Lexus repair expert - I'll get that out there right off - but I have repaired quite a few of them. The VSC is the Variable Speed Control, and basically means that your cruise control is now non-functional, because the on-board computer is not getting speed signals from all available speed sensors, and the 'skid symbol' I'm going to guess is your traction control warning light. It's been my experience that this usually means that one of your wheel speed sensors (ABS sensors) has failed. It also means that your basic OBDII scanner is not going to retrieve any codes; you will need to get to someone who can access your ABS system codes. If memory serves me well, we have replaced more rear wheel bearing assemblies in these vehicles to solve this type of issue than anything else (bearing assy comes with the sensor as an integral component). I've heard of folks doing system resets by performing battery disconnects for an extended period as a fix to this issue, but whether this will work for you... Maybe someone with direct experience on that will chime in. Best of luck.

The more I read up on this code, it lead me back to the gas cap. Asked the wife if she put fuel in it, she did. Checked the cap, it was on correctly but not clicked. Tightened the cap and no more codes! Still watching it but so far, so good! Wonder why there's no code for the gas cap?

Thanks again for your comments.

Mel