Intermittent Hissing Sounding Noise

lsufan

I recently bought a 2000 RX300 and I notice a hissing sounding noise which sounds like it is behind the speedometer, dash, etc......it is intermittent and goes in and out. Does anyone know what this might be? It only does it when the A/C, Heater, etc..is on. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
I recently bought a 2000 RX300 and I notice a hissing sounding noise which sounds like it is behind the speedometer, dash, etc......it is intermittent and goes in and out. Does anyone know what this might be? It only does it when the A/C, Heater, etc..is on. Thanks.

hello,

I am currently having the same problem with my RX300 '99. It just started last week. If you find out any information please let me know mr_man_b@yahoo.com.

James

I'm not sure if you need to have it looked at. It seems to be pretty common. I think you are just hearing the refrigerant moving around in the system. I find it annoying, but my wife cannot hear it (and it's her car) so I have left it go.

• 1 year later...

Sounds like the noise that the AC compressor and related system makes when it is cycling. Mine does the same thing and that's what I have traced it back to.

I have this problem too. It's very similar. The hissing noise only happens when the "A/C" button is enabled and the fans are blowing. The hissing noise is intermittent and comes one every 5-10 seconds. I've brought it in to Lexus and the technician told me it seems like the noise occurs when the freon is injected. I brought the car in multiple times to the dealership for this very problem and every time they add more freon but it doesn't seem to help. They added a special ink in the freon as well to detect a possible leak, but came up with nothing. It's a pretty annoying noise that is ouder than normal. I just turn up the radio now when I need to use the A/C. It's winter time now, so I don't use the A/C at all, but during the summer this is a consistent problem.

I wouldn't spend hundreds of bucks to fix this but the sound could be annoying.

any help is appreciated