Removing Engine And Trans Out Of A 1991

Erich

I picked up a low mileage 89k mile driveline from a babied 94 Anniversary Edition. The timing belt and bearings were just done, and has new oem wires etc.

I am going to swap it into my 91 that has a blown trans. Anyone had luck doing it with trans and engine paired together?

I picked up a low mileage 89k mile driveline from a babied 94 Anniversary Edition. The timing belt and bearings were just done, and has new oem wires etc.

I am going to swap it into my 91 that has a blown trans. Anyone had luck doing it with trans and engine paired together?

That will NOT work.

The electronics control systems, computers, networking, etc, for the '98 is highly advanced technology in comparison to the '91. You can move the '98 engine/transmssion control computer into the '91 but you will still be missing the datalink networking aspects upon which the '98's engine computer relies for communication with the many other system control computers.

Well, its a 94 not a 98 so it is not as advanced but I would still want the ECM/PCM out of the 94 model for compatibility reasons.

The probability that a '94 engine/transmission ECU control system will be compatible with a more technologically advanced '98 engine/transmission is between none and zero. For instance the '94 did not make use of the more modern day wideband knock/ping sensors, and in what year did the LS start using coil-on-plug ignition..?

And what about DBW, the '94 wasn't, the '98....?

Whoa......read the first post

The donor engine is a 1994. Its going into a 1991. The only difference could be TRACS...which both have. The 1994 and 1991 are the same and interchangeable. The ecu would be 1990 to 1992 w/TRACS. The 1994 ECU would not be needed nor is it compatible with the 1991's wiring harness.

A 1998 VVTi has nothing to do with this swap nor was it mentioned. 1990 to 1997 engines and transmissions are interchangeable. 1

Getting back to the question.

Can the engine + transmission be removed and installed as a pair. Or will i have to fuss around with dropping the transmission and pulling the motor.

Providing you have enough clearance under the car to allow the engine and transmission to tilt enough to allow removal it can be removed in one piece.

This may help

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-generation/588504-complete-1uzfe-gs400-engine-removal-timing-belt-starter-rebuild-reintall.html

Whoa......read the first post

The donor engine is a 1994. Its going into a 1991. The only difference could be TRACS...which both have. The 1994 and 1991 are the same and interchangeable. The ecu would be 1990 to 1992 w/TRACS. The 1994 ECU would not be needed nor is it compatible with the 1991's wiring harness.

A 1998 VVTi has nothing to do with this swap nor was it mentioned. 1990 to 1997 engines and transmissions are interchangeable. 1

Getting back to the question.

Can the engine + transmission be removed and installed as a pair. Or will i have to fuss around with dropping the transmission and pulling the motor.

My apologies.

Obviously I misread the MY of the donor vehicle.