It's Happening Again?

SC430? SC400? SC300? Year? There is a website with general listing obd1 and bod2 mil's. They cover lexus/toyota. I posted the link a while back. Sounds like you need a new catalytic converter though. Wich one? Yea. Change all your oxygen sensors too. That's my newest kick. Those things are critical man.

Someone must have changed my post I did list my car model ls400 95. Catalyst converter is expensive man. It runs $850 a piece, the OEM one is 250 but I don't like it to be weld on my pipe beside the OEM is a little longer than the original one. it's kind of round and long, not flat and short as original one.

When you get the "catalytic efficiency below threshold" error, it's a comparison between the O2 level at the manifold-side sensor compared to the sensor behind the converter. When they're out of whack, you get a light.

Check the tailpipe - is there a lot of black soot?

If so, replace the front O2 sensor. $80 vs $800.

Good luck

2xlexv8,

There are no black smog comes out at the tail pipe. If I had to change the OS first, which one should I replace first? The one before the inflow converter or the one behind outflow of converter? By the way, where do you get a OS for $80? The dealer where I am at, the charge from 110-130 for one before and one after the catalyst.

Good Evening,

The tech tip I read recommended checking inside the tailpipe for soot. Since yours doesn't have it, I don't know.

I'd start with the sensor in front of the converter, it catches the worst of the exhaust heat.

A way to save money with Lexus is to remember that Toyota makes all the parts. Some parts have the same numbers, some need a little research.

For example, the tundra/sequoia/LS400/SC400/etc all use the same water pump, but they have different part numbers. Doing a physical check reveals - they're the same. We're running a tundra water pump, idler bearing, and serpentine belt right now, the only difference is the cash we kept.

Production dates may sometimes differ on part number for the sensor. Have your parts person check. Sometimes, crossing to a Bosch number will make the research easier.

Good Luck :cheers:

Bank 2 located on the passenger side. If you have access to lexus scan tool and you can look up the data with the 02 sensor. In this case, you will have to check it by using a volt meter. Most of the time, the Cat will go out by itself.

JPI

Last August 03, I brought the car in the dealer for ENGINE LIGHT check. They told me I need to replace both cats for $3400. So, I went ahead bought dealer part $900.00 just for 1 item, and replace this on the left side (below driver side). Few weeks later, I cleaned battery connector and left cable off for 30mins. The Engine light went away until now, Feb 04. So, I am not sure. it's really the cat or sensor at this moment after I got the code pulled from AUTOZONE. I am very confident with the code was pull at the Autozone, because they got it right on last Engine Code error. Can you give me some hints on how to mearsure the sensor? does it have to be removed from the pipe before do the measurement? Thanks LExv8