New Member, A Few Issues With My 95 Ls

vikingjz

Hi all,

I bought a 1995 LS400 last week. No huge issues except for a noise in the back of the car.

When you are driving, if you are coasting and punch the gas, the rear end makes a THUD sound. I was told it could be some sort of mount.

If you drive normally or under light acceleration, it is fine and drives smooth and silky. No other noises or problems

Transmission mount? Some sort of rear end mount?

Hi Aaron. Just wanted to say welcome to the club and let you know that your post has been acknowleged. I don't know the answer to your question, but others will chime in here and help you out.

Again, welcome.

Paul

It could be a mount, bushing or joint along the driveshaft line. The transmission mounts are notorious for cracking. Changing that mount is fairly easy and almost a maintenance item if it has not been performed in the last 8 years or so. If you are handy and do your own work, you would need to crawl under the car and do some inspecting. Or what I would do, and is much safer and more convenient, is take the car to a trusted shop and explain the issue to them. They can easily put it on a lift, do a quick inspection and probably tell you what the problem is. Then you can decide if you want to tackle the fix or have them do it. Most shops will do the inspection for free and if not, it is only a few bucks.

Have you checked for "junk in the trunk"? No, not the size of your butt - whether or not there is something rattling around under spare tire well or under the false floors on either side of the trunk. And make sure that the jack and it's handle are securely stowed in the spaces provided.

Hi Aaron. Just wanted to say welcome to the club and let you know that your post has been acknowleged. I don't know the answer to your question, but others will chime in here and help you out.

Again, welcome.

Paul

Hi Paul, seems like I have met you somewhere, not sure but you look familiar. have a great day..

Again, welcome.

Paul

Hi Paul, seems like I have met you somewhere, not sure but you look familiar. have a great day..

Good to see you Billy! I think the face lift has done wonders for me don't you?

Hi all,

I bought a 1995 LS400 last week. No huge issues except for a noise in the back of the car.

When you are driving, if you are coasting and punch the gas, the rear end makes a THUD sound. I was told it could be some sort of mount.

If you drive normally or under light acceleration, it is fine and drives smooth and silky. No other noises or problems

Transmission mount? Some sort of rear end mount?

The rear diff'l has 3 rubber mounts/cushions. My '95, approaching 300K just had these replaced, DIY. Was experiencing the "thud" with quick on or off of the throttle, plus transmission "dithering" back and forth in gears at 40-50 just cruising along.