Difference Between Monroe Quick Struts 171 And 271

AZ99ES300

Question abut the quick strut assemblies for rear shocks-

Monroe lists the part number(s) for 99 ES300-

A search at Amazon shows these part numbers as 99 ES300 compatable-

The 171 series of parts runs $20 cheaper than the 271 series at rockauto

Monroe online catalog shows on part detail page that the 271681 is compatable with 99 V6 Camary and 99 ES300.

The 171681 is compatable with 99 Camary and 99 Solara.

Side by side spec sheets show parts have the the same body type (B10), overall length, compressed and extended lengths, and travel lengths. The parts pack is the same (P808) on both parts.

Is there really a difference? I read somewhere that there is a weight/load difference between the ES and the Camary and that interchanging suspension parts could lead to ride height issues.

I'm afraid that the difference might be something as useful as a brake line clip or mounting point.

I also see many "no name" brands (Leacree, StrutTEK) at nearly half the cost. I did see on a Camary board where there were some problems with the durability of these and wear issues at the mounting points, so I have eliminated those choices.

I did a search on this and came up empty. Anyone have experience with either of these?

Thanks!

I wasn't sure. And i did not see the '171' series on rockauto when i made my order a coupe months back...

I saw Amazon had the 171's, and tried to see a difference. I'm assuming its an older line up of struts/components.

I got the '271' series on my ES300 all around, ran me <600$ shipped for all four.

Hope this helps.

The 1-series shocks maybe inferior product which is why it's cheaper. It looks like 680 series will fit your car, but I wouldn't recommend it. The ride comfort maybe extremely harsh. Speaking from experience, I swapped out the struts on my old LS with Tokicos a few years back and it felt horrible.

You could attempt to find out if Toyota has a replacement strut from the Camry that will fit.

OK - I did do a more refined search and found someone on this board that got the 171 series for the Camary and had no issues.

I think that the 171 series is an older series (harder to find) and the 271 is the newer series because it is coming up as the "generic" part number for the no name or house brand of shocks.

The more I think about it, the $80 difference for KNOWING I got the right part has convinced me.

Thanks for the replies!

Joe