My 1996 Ls400 Trasmission Is Slipping.

Lane Kelly

My 1996 LS400 transmission is slipping. I have read many articles from changing the fluid, to replacing the solenoids, to refreshing the software, I have purchased 2 Shop Manuals that are incomplete (PDF). Could not get refunds.

1) Can any one send me a good PDF Shop Manual? (lanesmardigras@yahoo.com)

2) From a dead stop, it will slip then catch, then slips a little when shifting to second gear, BTF, this is an AT.

3) If I apply gas and hold the break, it works fine, but this is not a solution.

4) I have tried the Shift in every gear and at each gear press the break, worked for a short bit.

5) I have tried manually shifting gears, it seems the worst at 1st, then half the time will shift to 2nd, 3rd, just fine.

6) If I leave just in Drive (D) is seems to slip all the time. Shifting to 3rd seems OK.

7) If I am in (D), it seems to downshift and upshift a lot.

8) My email address is lanesmardigras@yahoo.com

Any help would be very appreciated, especially a real shop manual that would include all the diagnostics and component checks, and how to fix the software.

I purchased a Digital CAN OBD2 Scan Tool, however, still trying to learn how to use it.

Wow, this new LOC page looks crazy, hope it comes thru for you.

Have you dropped the pan and cleaned the filter screen, if not quit playing with it and do so. let us know if it was all clogged up. if it was do it several times until you get it clean... you might luck out. also learn how to read that scanner or get professional help before you really mess it up.

My 1996 LS400 transmission is slipping. I have read many articles from changing the fluid, to replacing the solenoids, to refreshing the software, I have purchased 2 Shop Manuals that are incomplete (PDF). Could not get refunds.

1) Can any one send me a good PDF Shop Manual? (lanesmardigras@yahoo.com)

2) From a dead stop, it will slip then catch, then slips a little when shifting to second gear, BTF, this is an AT.

3) If I apply gas and hold the break, it works fine, but this is not a solution.

4) I have tried the Shift in every gear and at each gear press the break, worked for a short bit.

5) I have tried manually shifting gears, it seems the worst at 1st, then half the time will shift to 2nd, 3rd, just fine.

6) If I leave just in Drive (D) is seems to slip all the time. Shifting to 3rd seems OK.

7) If I am in (D), it seems to downshift and upshift a lot.

8) My email address is lanesmardigras@yahoo.com

Any help would be very appreciated, especially a real shop manual that would include all the diagnostics and component checks, and how to fix the software.

I purchased a Digital CAN OBD2 Scan Tool, however, still trying to learn how to use it.

#3 is a standard method of "pre-loading" the torque converter which might indicate a torque converter is the problem.

Have you checked the ATF fluid level and condition?

techinfo.toyota.com subscription fee will get you FULL documentation access.

Thanks for the info. I am in the process of replacing the transmission filter, fluid looked dirty, and flushing the old fluid out.

I bought another Shop Manual, however, still not complete. Any chance someone has a complete shop manual and Electrical manual?

Will post after completing the flush.

BTW: the magnetized drain plug had NO metal, that was a good sign.

Well bad went to worse.

1) I replaced the filter

2) I flushed the fluid

3) Warmed the engin up and took for a ride. Still slipping. Now, I can't get out of gear, Park, can't reeve the engine up, feels like it is in gear, Reverse goes forward, Neutral goes forward, as well as all the Drive gears. Then fluid pours out the dip stick.

Does this mean I have a bad solenoid? If so which one? Or is the trans shot?

Feel free to call me, 303-588-3018, would appreciate any help.

40 years of working on my own cars and have never been stumped like I am now. Doesn't help this is my 1st Auto Trans, go this car from my brother after he died just over a year ago, Only thing he had of value, would like to keep the car going.

BTW: I now have a Check Engine Light. Used the CAN OBD2 and it says P0500 - Vehicle Speed Sensor A. No Transmission Codes that I can see.

Sounds like you have a major transmission problem and it might be cheaper to get hold of a good secondhand auto box from a breakers rather than try and repair the one you have.

How did you do the fluid change? was it the flush method or drain and refill method? Did you use the correct Toyota fluid? Finally did you check the fluid level using the correct proceedure?

I disconnected the return line (Line coming out of tranny) and pumped 2 quarts out, then added 2 quarts until clean. Per Autozone, I used Dextrron II / III fluid. Only drove around my neighborhood, max 15 blocks total. I was planning to reflush with Toyota fluid it this fixed my problem, which it did not.

Any chance for a used CD to remove and install a used tranny? I am on disability and can't afford the $200 manual, I have purchased 2 manuals on the internet that are useless, 1 for 15.99 and the other for 39.99, which had a bit more.

I can be reach at 303-588-3018.

Do you know Tim Guidry, Lexus GM and Regional VP for the south, out of Texas, know him for years and lost contact.

The fact that the trans is in gear in lever positions it shouldn't be, tells me you have a broken trans mount, or a couple of broken engine mounts. Revving the engine against a trans in gear, with out moving the car, will quickly heat the trans fluid and cause it to vent out.

Check the linkage. It isn't the type of fluid causing this issue.

And don't bother with manuals - you ain't fixing the insides of that trans yourself anyways, if that's what it turns out to be and I doubt it very much....

Would a speed sensor cause my transmission to slip and stuck in a forward gear?

These sensors are expensive and would hate to find out it didn't fix my problem.

Any suggestions? Like just go ahead and replace the tranny. I have a '96, other parts are '96 to 2000, can I replace mine with a 2000 model?

Would a speed sensor cause my transmission to slip and stuck in a forward gear?

These sensors are expensive and would hate to find out it didn't fix my problem.

Any suggestions? Like just go ahead and replace the tranny. I have a '96, other parts are '96 to 2000, can I replace mine with a 2000 model?

How do you get to these sensors located on top of the tranny?

BTY: Thank you all for your help and comments.

I removed the negative harness from the battery for 45 min. Now I get no code. I drove around the neighborhood and it is stuck in 1st gear, even in neutral, reverse, and park. Again, I had the scanner on for the 5 min drive and no codes now.

Any clues on this problem?

the PDF from my 98-2000 manual:

this was copied from Club Lexus:

I have a 96 and just had that same code (PO770) . Fortunately for me I was able to replace all four solenoids from a junk yard transmission. I dropped the pan only to discover NO magnets on bottom of pan and filter was dirty (I'm assuming from metal particles recirculating in tranny). Bought new magnets from radio shack, new filter, toyota type IV atf, replaced all four solenoids, problem solved. Silky smooth shifting. I'm planning on draining again in a week or so.

The solenoid that is circled in the above pic is the correct solenoid "E". I changed all 4 considering the no magnet situation.

Good luck.

_Automatic Transmission.pdf

go here to download it, my attempt to send it to you failed.

http://home.student....gombertm/lexus/

Billy,

Read your PMs! I sent you a link at 8:30 am this morning telling you where you can download the 98-00 LS400 repair manual from: http://home.student....gombertm/lexus/

Don't know how long it will be there. The same ZIP file has been passed around for several years.

The ZIP file is over 20 megabytes which is well above the maximum attachment size of many email services -- downloading it may be your best shot.

Sorry Billy, Links did not show up, until I logged back on. I do read my PM's and do appreciate your help and input.

Being in Colorado, it has been freezing the last 2 days.

I plan on dropping the pan and check the solenoids with a 5 ohm resistance to see if I can find a bad one.

I will let you and other members reading this post what I find.

You don't need to drop the pan to do an electrical test. Just probe at the harness and save yourself a messy job.... Solenoids are just a coil of wire around a bobbin. Either they are shorted due to wires melted together (near zero ohms) or they are open circuit as the wire blew like a fuse (infinity or very high resistance reading).

Solenoids can also jam mechanically but I would sort out the electrical story before dropping a pan.