Random Misfire 5,6,7,8: Help.

Andyphoenix

I'm driving 1995 LS 400 with 94K miles, suddenly runs rough and check engine light comes on. Trac off light flashing. Take to Autozone to read codes. Counterguy says random misfire and I think he said 5, 6, 7, 8. Suggests I check plugs, wires, and distributor cap. All were replaced at 60K (along with timing belt by PO at dealer) I checked and all looks okay. Sudden misfire on only those cylinders does not make sense to me and then I realize I should have written down the actual codes. It will start and idle but can detect slightly rough idle. Any attempt to increase rpm or accelerate increases roughness and slow to get moving. Does anyone have any ideas before I limp it back 8 miles each way to Autozone for acual codes and hope it does not make a bigger problem? Anyone have same or similar experience?

sounds like bad timing... check your timing belt tension and while you are at it chek the timing marks on the camshaft, engine body and belt itself. they should all align

There are two distributor caps (at least on my car). Maybe one of them suffered a castestropic failure of some type. Perhaps one of them has a problem since it only involves 4 cylinders. It would be the very first thing I checked.

they are ondifferent sides thus they are powered by different coils androtors/caps.

it might beeither wek/nospark cause of bad wire/sparks or bad timing. i think its the second but its worth eliminating first one to mae sure