Vsc/trac And Awd Lock Switches

katie d

I accidentally turned on the VSC/TRAC and/or the AWD lock switch while trying to retrieve an item that fell between my seat and the console. This set off error codes that I was not able to reset (even after I called the 24-hour roadside assistance). I had to take the car to the dealer to get the Warning Lights turned off. The placement of these 2 switches is terrible. Does anyone have a solution on how to "cover" the switches so I don't accidentally turn them on again?

I accidentally turned on the VSC/TRAC and/or the AWD lock switch while trying to retrieve an item that fell between my seat and the console. This set off error codes that I was not able to reset (even after I called the 24-hour roadside assistance). I had to take the car to the dealer to get the Warning Lights turned off. The placement of these 2 switches is terrible. Does anyone have a solution on how to "cover" the switches so I don't accidentally turn them on again?

I think, thought, that the VSC/TRAC switch had only an "off" functionality and the system was restored to default "on" with the next ignition cycle.

The "AWD" switch, on the other hand, is a positive engagement switch (below ~20MPH) and should you accidentally turn it on while driving on a highly tractive surface I could see that might result in a fault code. That instance is so serious in nature that the factory might wish to know how often you abuse the system in that manner therefore only the dealer would be able to reset it.

Does anyone have a solution on how to "cover" the switches so I don't accidentally turn them on again?

Based on the information in the 2010 RX owners manual, pressing these switches should not have caused any problems no matter what speed you were going. And nobody is going to collect information so that they "know how often you abuse the system".

I can't tell you how to keep from inadvertently pressing console mounted switches other than maybe to not flail about if you drop something.

Does anyone have a solution on how to "cover" the switches so I don't accidentally turn them on again?

Based on the information in the 2010 RX owners manual, pressing these switches should not have caused any problems no matter what speed you were going. And nobody is going to collect information so that they "know how often you abuse the system".

I can't tell you how to keep from inadvertently pressing console mounted switches other than maybe to not flail about if you drop something.

The Ford Escape is using this same "wannabe" AWD system, and has for many years past. Ford has a thermistor in the rear clutch/diff'l assembly used to warn the driver of too much use, or incorrect use, of the AWD system. If the driver ignores the overheat warning indication then the system is simply disabled. Toyota uses this system on many models, initially on the Venza, and only the RX allows for driver manual engagement.

I have very little doubt that if the "AWD" function were left engaged for an extended period on a highly tractive surface either the PTO or the clutch/diff'l itself would be subject to overheating, perhaps seriously so.

Given the failure history on the Escape, mostly PTO overheating, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this indication is at least intended as an opportunity for the dealer to caution about the proper use of this function.

Anyway, what was the indication that only the dealer could reset??