Lower Control Arm Replacement

schasey

Yesterday I brought my 2007 RX400h into a local Lexus dealership for routine 40k maintenance. When I picked up my car the service manager said that the front lower control arms are torn (his words) and recommended that I get them replaced. He quoted a price of slightly more than $1,500 including alignment of all four wheels.

I typically don't mind paying premium prices for having my car service at Lexus dealer, but them seems over the top to me. Can someone more experienced than I in such matters (which is likely all of you) advise as to whether or not that's a "fair" price?

• 1 month later...

Those control arms are $163 apiece here

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-catalog/4802481642-PowertrainAndChassis-RX400h-2008.html

You can get this Club Lexus discount and then have Toyota, or and independent intall them...maybe cheaper....

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I brought my 2007 RX400h into a local Lexus dealership for routine 40k maintenance. When I picked up my car the service manager said that the front lower control arms are torn (his words) and recommended that I get them replaced. He quoted a price of slightly more than $1,500 including alignment of all four wheels.

I typically don't mind paying premium prices for having my car service at Lexus dealer, but them seems over the top to me. Can someone more experienced than I in such matters (which is likely all of you) advise as to whether or not that's a "fair" price?

Lower control arms at 40k miles? That shop sounds a little too hungry. It's normal for the bushing to crack and the edges of the rubber to fray with age. What you can see of the rubber is not what is doing the job so to say. Now if the complete rubber bushing is missing that's the time to do them, but by then you couldn't even drive it safely, much less, straight....and there would be huge clunking sound on every bump. Find another dealer, that one's gonna rake you.