Catalytic Converters BAD????

rwdog

1995 LS 400 104,000 miles. Check engine light came on, took it in the Lexus dealer. Via the Computer diags, per the OBD, the Oxygen sensors were not preheating, so both were replaced, $570.00 total bill. 33 miles late check engine light, back on. Now the Lexus dealer is saying the front two catalytic converters need to be replaced, ~$2200.00 total. I can order the converters from americanlexusparts for $690.00 each plus shipping. I don't mind replacing what needs replacing, but it seems that their trouble shooting is poor. Also does any know of a OBD II interface that will connect and via PC software show the codes and engine status, also does lexus sell the shop manual for this car?

Any comments or help welcomed.

• 3 weeks later...
1995 LS 400 104,000 miles. Check engine light came on, took it in the Lexus dealer. Via the Computer diags, per the OBD, the Oxygen sensors were not preheating, so both were replaced, $570.00 total bill. 33 miles late check engine light, back on. Now the Lexus dealer is saying the front two catalytic converters need to be replaced, ~$2200.00 total. I can order the converters from americanlexusparts for $690.00 each plus shipping. I don't mind replacing what needs replacing, but it seems that their trouble shooting is poor. Also does any know of a OBD II interface that will connect and via PC software show the codes and engine status, also does lexus sell the shop manual for this car?  

Ever think about getting a "Y" pipe and taking them out? Yes it will not pass emissions but you will be adding some HP in the process

• 5 years later...

Two excellent Questions !!

I have the same two.

Did you ever get answers?

Thanks

Roger

Ever think about getting a "Y" pipe and taking them out? Yes it will not pass emissions but you will be adding some HP in the process