Erractic Behavior.....need Help!

shatcher80

Hello! So I own a 1991 Lexus LS400 V8 and I just had the starter replaced. I drove it home and noticed some strange things happenning.

1. The oil light,battery light, brake light,temperature light, and trac light were all on.

2. The dash lights were on but when I press the brake they go completely off except for the P,R,D, etc...

3. The idle on the car is extremely low.....about 150 to 200 rpms.

4. Battery went dead after attempting to recrank.

Now I had the battery tested and it was good. Once I installed it all the lights in problem #1 went off except for the trac. Now I just have #2 and #3 to worry about. Now sure were to start because there is no CEL and no codes. Any suggestions?

Hello! So I own a 1991 Lexus LS400 V8 and I just had the starter replaced. I drove it home and noticed some strange things happenning.

1. The oil light,battery light, brake light,temperature light, and trac light were all on.

2. The dash lights were on but when I press the brake they go completely off except for the P,R,D, etc...

3. The idle on the car is extremely low.....about 150 to 200 rpms.

4. Battery went dead after attempting to recrank.

Now I had the battery tested and it was good. Once I installed it all the lights in problem #1 went off except for the trac. Now I just have #2 and #3 to worry about. Now sure were to start because there is no CEL and no codes. Any suggestions?

Hi shatcher80,

Have you tried looking up the older threads for this issue? You may have what is a well known problem with the early models: the wire harness in the trunk leading to the tail lamps in the trunk lid was a tad short and over time, repeated opening and closing of the trunk lid would cause the wires to break inside their insulation, causing all sorts of odd/erratic behavior, including the #2 problem you have described.

Look up the threads, but in the meantime, here is something you could check out - open your trunk and look at the left hinge area. The wires are routed inside the hinge arm and are covered by a plastic cover; if your vehicle wiring in that area is pristine - does not look like it has been tampered with, then I would be inclined to believe that the problem in your vehicle has not been fixed, and you will have to remove the plastic cover to expose the wiring, then remove the insulating tape around the harness and methodically check each one of the wires to see if any are broken. This is not as simple as it may seem, since there is no easy way to tell if a wire is broken on the inside of the insulation. In the case of my vehicle ('92LS400), it was the Yellow wire and the White wire. I forget which colored wire was the ground, but in my case it was the ground wire. Others have also found that it was either the Yellow or White wires.

Good luck and keep us posted if you have more questions or answers!

Oh yeah, just because it looks like it has been repaired previously,it might not be okay. I had a second wire break in the same location a few years after I repaired the third. Now I let the harness assembly kind of hang so it doesn't stress the ancient wires.

Hay, I have lexus Ls400 1994, i want to write new CD for its,actully i worte CD in .CDA ext but its not working in my lexus player,player not read it but other old CD they read and also its not showing any err and CD working perfectly in my laptop,