My 2008 Rx400h Mileage

Here is a graph showing the actual mileage from my 2008 rh400x over the last 18 months. I keep receipts from each gas purchase and write down the reported mileage between fillups. I think this is as accurate as I can get in recording mileage. For demographic data, I live in central Massachusetts in an area with plenty of hills, I have a commute of about 5 miles each way to work which is what I primarily drive. I drive about 8.5k miles per year (pretty light, I know.) I have currently been using only 93 (or better) octane gas since Lexus calls for it. But I'm very tempted to switch to regular and see what actual impact that has.

I think you can see quite clearly when the changeover to winter gas happens.

I also have data on on (in)accurate the computer is at calculating gas mileage. It overall inflates actual mileage by and average of 5.4%, but ranges from 2-10% (but I'm not sure what influences that.)

At current gas prices ($2.65/g in my area) it will take me owning the car for 9.75 years before I save more in gas costs than I paid in a premium over the 2008 rx350. So, it wasn't worth it economically but I have to say the hybrid is more fun :).

post-112500-1269346445_thumb.jpg

It's not just the winter gas, but also the colder weather. ICE has to run more to keep the coolant hot to keep the cabin warm, and also to keep the cats up to operating temp. I also find in the colder weather, just a little tap on the gas pedal will cause the ICE to kick in. Still, I have to agree with you that the hybrid is fun to drive.

It's not just the winter gas, but also the colder weather. ICE has to run more to keep the coolant hot to keep the cabin warm, and also to keep the cats up to operating temp. I also find in the colder weather, just a little tap on the gas pedal will cause the ICE to kick in. Still, I have to agree with you that the hybrid is fun to drive.

Interesting idea to correlate average daily temperature to gas mileage! I'll see if I can do that (I have a weather station so I have the temp data too - just in a different database.)

Here is a graph showing the actual mileage from my 2008 rh400x over the last 18 months. I keep receipts from each gas purchase and write down the reported mileage between fillups. I think this is as accurate as I can get in recording mileage. For demographic data, I live in central Massachusetts in an area with plenty of hills, I have a commute of about 5 miles each way to work which is what I primarily drive. I drive about 8.5k miles per year (pretty light, I know.) I have currently been using only 93 (or better) octane gas since Lexus calls for it. But I'm very tempted to switch to regular and see what actual impact that has.

I think you can see quite clearly when the changeover to winter gas happens.

I also have data on on (in)accurate the computer is at calculating gas mileage. It overall inflates actual mileage by and average of 5.4%, but ranges from 2-10% (but I'm not sure what influences that.)

At current gas prices ($2.65/g in my area) it will take me owning the car for 9.75 years before I save more in gas costs than I paid in a premium over the 2008 rx350. So, it wasn't worth it economically but I have to say the hybrid is more fun :).

I don't get the "Years it takes" to get the economic benefit of having a hybrid. To me it means less times going to the pump, not idling(burning gas) in L.A. traffic, having the amazing CVT tranny....there really is no comparison between the 350 and our amazing 400h...at least as far as I am concerned. The times that I have been given the 350 as a loaner I have always looked forward to getting my 400h back. The 350 is a fine automobile but it isn't the equal of the 400h. I do like the initial pep of the ICE engine but the shifting of gears is now irritating to me even when I get in a smooth ES350.The other nice thing about our 400h is how much better it is on the highway as far as power goes. I am now spoiled. So do not think of the 9+ years to recoop...you are already in the plus with a superior auto. Rey in L.A..

Our year-round gas mileage is similar to yours during your warmer months (24-26 MPG).

BTW, 5 miles to work may not be enough distance to allow the engine oil to reach high enough levels to allow moisture to "burn off". However, a more lengthy trip during the weekend might take care of that issue. In any case, you should follow recommended oil change intervals.