Are The Maintenance Items Reasonable?

freshcar

My 2009 ES350 is close to the 36000 KM milage.

When I called to book an appointment for this week, I was told ,besides the items on the maintenance list, I also need to do the following two:

- Maintenance on the brakes ( according to their explanation, they will switch the two pieces of brake pads on each wheel) .

- Battery maintenance

Are these reasonable maintenance item? Or these are just nice to have ? I'm not convinced I have to spend money on these two items.

HOpe people who have expertise can advise.

thanks

Battery maintenance on a maintenance free battery? I'm not sure what kind of battery maintenance they would do. The battery is a year old...its fine.

As for the brakes, its not impossible that they would need to be replaced at that mileage...did they tell you how much pad life was left?

You don't just change brake pads at certain intervals...it depends on how fast they wear...

Kinda sounds to me like this dealer might be setting you up to do things that aren't neccesary.

• 2 weeks later...

Im in US so that is about 223XX miles. WAY to early to do anything to the battery unless you do some really unconventional things.

Also unless you drive super aggressive, notice any unusual brake sounds or brake feels weird, I would also leave them alone. Just say thanks but no thanks. I have NEVER heard of anyone switching brake pads on each wheel. Replacing them if they are low is one thing, but rotating brake pads on each wheel? LOL. If they are wearing unevenly, you have problems with your rotor or alignment, both of which I highly doubt. I've replaced my own brake pads (in acura MDX) and know how they work in the wheels and the battery (MDX and Accord) as well and I can tell you those two items sound like unnecessary expenses at 22XXX miles.

Any time a shop suggests service that you don't understand or is questionable in your mind, ask them for a detailed explanation of the service, whether it is necessary, and if so, why? This sounds like "make work" during a slow period to me.