99rx Transmission Drain And Fill Question

lex2

All,

I have had the local Toyota dealership drain and fill the trans on my 99 RX last time (last August) and the levels on the dipstick before and after that change was always slightly above the "hot" range, indicating a slight overfill. Also, it didn't matter if the car was warmed up or cold, the level was always the same.

I decided to put some fresh T-IV in yesterday myself, and what came out was not perfectly cherry red but not all that bad either. In any case, exactly 4 quarts drained out of the pan. Now this is interesting since from what I read when you do a drain and fill, only 75% of the 4.1 quart capacity comes out. Well this was more than 75%.

In keeping consistent with some of the things I have read, I refilled exactly 4 quarts as this is what came out. Now the levels are at the same place as they always have been on the dipstick, slightly above the hot range, whether the engine is cool or not.

The car drives like a dream - I just turned 47k on it yesterday and after the fill dare I say it shifts even smoother. Am trying to do the simple things to prevent possible failure in the future.

The question I have is this thing overfilled with the dipstick readings I amgetting?? Questions and comments always appreciated - I hope this makes sense.

JBL

Within reason (keyword), it's always better to have a slight overfill than an under-fill. If you adjust your final level to show FULL on the dipstick when the oil is up to operating temperature, you'll always be OK. If your transmission is functioning perfectly at the level you've been running, don't worry about it. To overfill the transmission to the point where it adversely affects operation, you'll probably have to be at least a quart on the high side. I can tell you that if you are a quart down on the LOW side, it is going to have adverse effect at some point. Based on what you've said, I think you're going to be just fine where you are.

Within reason (keyword), it's always better to have a slight overfill than an under-fill. If you adjust your final level to show FULL on the dipstick when the oil is up to operating temperature, you'll always be OK. If your transmission is functioning perfectly at the level you've been running, don't worry about it. To overfill the transmission to the point where it adversely affects operation, you'll probably have to be at least a quart on the high side. I can tell you that if you are a quart down on the LOW side, it is going to have adverse effect at some point. Based on what you've said, I think you're going to be just fine where you are.

Thanks for the reply. The car just looks and runs like new and I hate to think that all of these cars are cursed by these transmission problems. There are enough people out there that haven't had any issues with theirs at all. I personally don't mind changing the trans fluid once a year even, if that's what it takes. Hell it was simple and it cost me $30 for the fluid and about a half hour of my time. If that is what it takes to prolong the life of the transmission then that is a small price to pay, IMHO. I have read where people say that it is unacceptable that you have to change the fluid that much, and, I wouldn't much disagree. However, you do what you need to do now, so as to avoid the repair bill later. Other cars have problems associated with them too...

Aside from the cost factor, there is no technical reason to prevent you from changing the ATF or any other fluid once a week if you feel like it. Generally speaking, I think changing the ATF every 50-60,000 miles is reasonable assuming "normal" service - maybe more often in very hot climates or if you pull a trailer often.

I've got 149,500 on my 2000 RX300 and have serviced the transmission one time but I'll probably do it again at the 150,000 mark when I change the oil. As far as I'm concerned, changing the ATF fluid is cheap insurance when combined with treating the transmission with respect and not abusing it

• 2 weeks later...

I actually went and did ANOTHER drain and fill about 150 miles after I did the first one. Now, nearly all of the trans fluid has been changed out and the fluid is cough syrup cherry red as well it should be after two drain and fills.

The ironic thing is that I bught the first 4 quarts at one Toyota dealer and the second 4 quarts at another Toyota dealership...the difference in price of the T-IV ?? Half the cost!! Seriouslly, the first dealership had it on sale for just over $6 per qt and the second dealership just over $3 per quart!~!

Not unusual at all. Our 2005 Jaguar S-Type sedan has the German-built 6-speed ZF transmission that runs 10 litres of Shell M1374.5 mineral oil as its transmission fluid. Our local Jaguar dealership specializes in ripping off their customers and sells a one-litre bottle of this "liquid gold" for $55. The Jaguar dealership 70 miles away sells the same one-litre bottle for $38. Just be glad you're only talking about the difference between $3 and $6....