General Grabber Hts Tires

I have been researching my next set of tires for a while now. I have gotten great input reading the posts here in our little forum....I kept going from the Kumho APTk51s to the Nitto NT420S and then I read a post on the General Grabber HTS. I currently have Toyo Proxes S/Ts in my preferred 255/55-18" size. This is the size that I will get now and as long as I have my 06 400h. The Toyos have been great but I know I can do even better. So far with 35K miles the Toyos have a lot more life left, they still look new, so researching tires has been fun since I am in no hurry. I am not considering the Alenzas, not as good as what I have now, or any Michelins ( more than likely, they are just so over priced!) so just keep that in mind.

Here are the numbers on the General Grabbers HTS:

255/55/18"

29" diameter

35lb per tire

10.4" width (like my Toyos)

"H" rated

640 AB (warranty to 60K miles)

109 H XL load/ (2271 lb)

low road resistance, supposed to be great on MPGs, this tire is perfect for hybrid SUVs.

Great ride and very,very quiet from all accounts that I have read in many sites and forums even after many miles. Cars ranging from pick ups to SUVs. Suvs that included the Ford Escape hybrid, Toureg, Range Rover, Equinox, Enclave, etc.

Price: I have seen them priced from $138.43 (255/55/18")

This is the ONLY tire I really haven't heard anything bad about. The only luke warm thing that I heard/read about this tire was its "OK" performance on ice, which I couldn't care less about. I live in the Los Angeles area so please keep this in mind. Tires are a personal decision and where you live has a lot to do with what tire you get and how you drive and your typical weather conditions. It's March here in L.A. and it is 85 degrees, so besides the few rain showers we get a year, there is very little in the way of "Weather" here.

Here is an interesting comparison between tires, namely the Alenza and Scorpion:

http://ezinearticles.com/?General-Grabber-...&id=2708007

Please, if you have anything to add please do. I still have about a year to decide. So far this tire seems best for me.

Warmly, Rey in sunny L.A.

The one thing that is unknown: How quiet are the tires when they have 25-30,000 miles on them? The Alenzas were super-quiet until about 27,000 miles.

Since you have a year, perhaps we will find out before you or I need to buy a new set.

The one thing that is unknown: How quiet are the tires when they have 25-30,000 miles on them? The Alenzas were super-quiet until about 27,000 miles.

Since you have a year, perhaps we will find out before you or I need to buy a new set.

Yes, thanks for the concern...this has been fun for me to research.....

Well, there are a few people with well over 60K on them (General Grabber HTS) and they are apparently very quiet even in their later miles. The most miles I have seen that someone had on them was 71 K. I was warned about loudness issues with Toyo tires, some of them. Mine have been fine. After 35K miles I can tell that I have to put the radio a little louder but they are really nice as far as the overall ride.

I no longer have an interest in Alenzas. I think there are at least the three tires (Kumho Road Venture APT KL51, Nitto NT420S and my current fave,the General HTS) that I mentioned that are better for me. FOR ME, my opinion. Even the Toyo Proxes II, the new version of my current tire, would be my choices before the Alenzas or the Michelins.

I am still getting opinions from all of you and in a year, I should be pretty happy with whatever I pick..I better be. I didn't want to mention this before but I didn't like the Alenzas compared to my Toyos. I drove a friends' 06 RX 400h with relatively new Alenzas and my car was definitely smoother than hers. My RX just felt better and I have the same car, same year. I have the Toyo Proxes S/Ts and they are approaching 37K. I was warned that they would be impossible to deal with as far as noise. I know that they aren't silent but it goes to show...sometimes you just have to go with your own feelings. They have been great but I know that I can do better. Thanks for the input. The countdown continues for me. Rey in sunny L.A.

I keep looking but I haven't found a better tire yet than this General Grabber HTS....and in the size that I like for my RX,255/55/18". I'll keep reading and searching.

You realize you're right on the border of the recommended 3% difference in tire size from the OE spec? A 255/50/18 would almost be bang on when it comes to diameter (if there is such a size).

Are you looking for a long wearing tire - is that why you're not considering the General Grabber UHP (summer tire only, which would be OK for you) or the recommended General Tire for the RX, the General Exclaim UHP.

You realize you're right on the border of the recommended 3% difference in tire size from the OE spec? A 255/50/18 would almost be bang on when it comes to diameter (if there is such a size).

Are you looking for a long wearing tire - is that why you're not considering the General Grabber UHP (summer tire only, which would be OK for you) or the recommended General Tire for the RX, the General Exclaim UHP.

Well, three years later the tires just feel better and look better in the 255/55 size. I know it's only a half of an inch bigger but they just seem to look better and feel better a wee bit wider and that 1/2" bigger all around. You make them sound like they are a lot bigger. You can see from my profile picture that they look "normal". No rubbing, nothing. Less Revs Per Mile but not by a lot.

Anyway,of all of the tires that I have been researching, and I still have about a year in these Toyos, I haven't seen a better tire in all of the criteria mentioned earlier in this post than that of the General Grabber HTS. The only things that really didn't mean much to me were the ice and snow specs since I have never driven in snow nor do I go to the snow, nor do I watch movies with snow...you get the idea....I didn't like the feel of the Alenzas compared to the Toyos that I have now and I thought that I might get one of the Michelins but the price and mixed reviews on some of the types of Michelins made me want to search for other brands that I hadn't considered. It was in this forum that I found out about the General Grabber HTS tires and was surprised at the overwhelming praise that I have found all over the internet about them. that's all...I have no allegiance to any tire company...I just want to get something that is best for me here in L.A.. The Generals will last long enough. As I said, one of the reviewers had them for 71K and are warranted to 60 K which is fine for a less than $150 tire and of this high quality. The grabber comes in 255/55/18" and not in the OEM size anyway so I will stick with the size that I have had on my car for three years and the size that I like on my car. It's no big woop. I don't think I'm the only one that has the 255/55 size and likes them better. I will look at the other Generals that you mentioned... Happy trails, Rey in sunny L.A.

Well, so far the General Grabber UHP got bad reviews.....let me research the other, exclaim uhp....

I'm confused..the Exclaim UHP is a sports tire for sports cars and sedans...doesn't seem to me to be a better tire than the great ride,quiet , SUV and truck specific Grabber HTS.... I'll keep reading....

• 2 weeks later...

Two months of researching later and this is still the best tire for me here in L.A.. I am still looking but this is a tire that is going to be tough to beat and any price, any make...I'll keep looking....Rey

• 3 weeks later...

Two months of researching later and this is still the best tire for me here in L.A.. I am still looking but this is a tire that is going to be tough to beat and any price, any make...I'll keep looking....Rey

These tires just came out in March, and were recommended to me by a Tire Store. Cheaper than the Latitude Tour...don't know how it compares to your favoured tire, and it's too new for many reviews, but the few that are posted at tirerack.com are positive.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+ENVigor+%28H%26V%29&partnum=355VR8ENV&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I know an Accord is not an RX, but here are some positive reviews, with many remarking on the quietness of the tire

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44339

Great new suggestion, I'll keep an eye on these this next year. Also, it comes in the size that I think looks and feels better for our 400h...255/55/18". Keep the suggestions coming everyone! Rey

The Yokohama is a V rated tire as well. If I'm not mistaken the OE Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 are also V rated. The General you're considering is not. Not that you're ever going to be at a sustained speed to need the V rating, but I just like staying with OE ratings.

The wear rating is less on the Yokohama (but as stated somewhere else, wear ratings are open to interpretation). However, the A A rating for traction and temperature is also equivalent to the OE Michelin. The General is A B.

The Yokohama is about $150 at Tire Rack, which is more expensive than the General.

http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/avid_envigor.pdf

My car came with the Good Year Eagle S/A...(?)...anyway, they were the worst tires that I have ever driven on. They lasted 11K miles and then I got my Toyos. I am looking forward to getting the General Grabbers HTS tires, it's looking more and more like the best one for me here in L.A.. But as I said, I have time to keep researching. Thanks a million, Rey

Wow lemon, these Yokohamas seem great! I am definitely putting these on my very short list of tires to buy later this year or next. Thanks so much for this suggestion! Rey

Wow lemon, these Yokohamas seem great! I am definitely putting these on my very short list of tires to buy later this year or next. Thanks so much for this suggestion! Rey

I'll be needing new tires soon as well, so this is a worthwhile post to keep an eye on. Since I have dedicated winter tires/rims, I 'think' I can probably wait till next summer to replace the all season. However, by then, I'm sure there will be some 'new' tire that catches my eye..hahaha.

It's like when you buy a new TV/computer/cell phone/ipod etc. and six months later, version 2, with bigger, better, cheaper and 3 dimensional comes out...

I'll be needing new tires soon as well, so this is a worthwhile post to keep an eye on. Since I have dedicated winter tires/rims, I 'think' I can probably wait till next summer to replace the all season. However, by then, I'm sure there will be some 'new' tire that catches my eye..hahaha.

It's like when you buy a new TV/computer/cell phone/ipod etc. and six months later, version 2, with bigger, better, cheaper and 3 dimensional comes out...

Funny lemon, funny.......I finally got rid of my 30 year old Zenith! I am pretty patient and learned not to get too caught up in the "New"...it'll drive ya crazy! Especially since, as you implied, six months later there's always a "New and Improved" version of anything and everything. My 06 400h is a marvel of technology even at four years old. I am keeping it for at least another six years, if everything goes well...so I HAVE to not look at the greener grass next door! Thanks and lets keep posting. The beauty of this is the fact that we have time. Researching stuff is a hobby to me...like when I was gathering research before I bought my 400h in Jan 2006. Happy driving, Rey in sunny L.A..

• 2 months later...

Just posted on another thread for tires, not sure if that is bad etiquette, but I noticed this one was a little newer. Newbie to the site so have mercy please.

I have a 2008 RX400h with stock Eagles for spring/summer/fall and Scorpion Ice's for winter. I need to replace the Eagles and was evaluating my tire rack suggestions (Yoko Avid ENV, Michelin Latitudes, Bridgestone Alenza's). I hadn't heard of General or Nitto but was impressed with the comments and reviews of people here. Unfortunately, I have the 225/65/17 size and the HTS and NT420s don't do 17" easily. If they are awesome, would consider buying new wheels too...

Am leaning towards the Yoko's for now but could be swayed. Any suggestions welcome. I will be driving aggressively in the Bay Area in good conditions only with them.

2008s had 2 options: 225/65-17 and 235/55-18. I live in the city and walk most places (work, dinner). I use the car primarily to drive to the mountains to ski so my number one priority was snow handling. I thought the narrower tires would do better. Not sure if aspect ratio is more important- just read a narrower tire will plow through snow better. Now I need a new set for when I do drive in the summer and would consider getting a bigger wheel. Any reason other than aesthetics?

I recently put new tires on my wife's 400h and we absolutely love the Yokohama Parada Spec-X we put on the vehicle. They handle great in all weather conditions and road noise is non-existent. We have only had them on the vehicle through one tire rotation and they are wearing evenly. Only time will tell on how they wear long term, but I do believe the Parada Spec-X is a softer compound than some of the other tires available. My number one concern is safety with quiet/comfort coming in second. The mileage I get out of a set of tires doesn't really concern me unless they only last 30K.

stopping distance on the General Grabbers is great.....So, my pick is on every count, the Generals...still haven't read about a better tire....

These tires just came out in March, and were recommended to me by a Tire Store. Cheaper than the Latitude Tour...don't know how it compares to your favoured tire, and it's too new for many reviews, but the few that are posted at tirerack.com are positive.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+ENVigor+%28H%26V%29&partnum=355VR8ENV&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I know an Accord is not an RX, but here are some positive reviews, with many remarking on the quietness of the tire

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44339

There have been several more reviews of this tire since I posted the original link..

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComments.jsp?additionalComments=y&commentStatus=P&tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+ENVigor+%28W%29&tirePageLocQty=#

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=129

Keep in mind that many reviews are written after only 1000 miles of driving. Our Bridgestone Alenzas were incredible tires until about 30,000 miles when they started to "sing". Perhaps my 5-6000 mile rotations contributed to the noise but I've done the same with other tires and did not have this issue. (Except for Sumitomos which sounded off after only 10,000 miles).

I am still researching and still haven't found a better tire than the General Grabber HTS....too bad Tiretrack doesn't include it in their comparisons but all indications from people with these tires are that they are the best...I think that I still have a year to look...the Yokohamas sounded OK but not when I look at all of the reviews on line...so the Generals are still the top pick...I can't believe that I am saying this about General tires but I guess they shocked all the tire experts with this fabulous tire...one more year of reading until I get a set of something....but right now, The Generals are ahead by a mile. Rey in Los Angeles...a)Oh I don't know how they are in snow but I HAVE NEVER driven in snow and don't know if I ever will). Of course how tires perform in snow means a lot to many of you...so I am talking about tires for ME...here in L.A..

• 3 weeks later...

Just installed Grabber HTS on my F150. A very nice tire at a great price (P245 70r17 at $150). I sort of backed into them as the Ford dealer (running a nice special) couldn't put me on Continentals for a couple of months. The Generals are rated better in Consumer Reports anyway (Continental is number 2). Price was only $38 more (grandtotal) than four Continentals. Turns out General is owned by Continental(German company)and might actually be manufactured here in the states.

What I like best from the seat of my pants: very smooth and quiet ride (much better than the OEM Hancooks); much siping which should help on my occasional trip to the snow.

Just installed Grabber HTS on my F150. A very nice tire at a great price (P245 70r17 at $150). I sort of backed into them as the Ford dealer (running a nice special) couldn't put me on Continentals for a couple of months. The Generals are rated better in Consumer Reports anyway (Continental is number 2). Price was only $38 more (grandtotal) than four Continentals. Turns out General is owned by Continental(German company)and might actually be manufactured here in the states.

What I like best from the seat of my pants: very smooth and quiet ride (much better than the OEM Hancooks); much siping which should help on my occasional trip to the snow.

Great, thanks...I have heard that they are amazing tires. They are going on my 400h in less than a year I'd say...the Toyo Proxes S/Ts have been great though and are lasting a good while.

Well, as much as I enjoy researching tires (and following this thread), I came across a very very slightly used set of 4 Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 in 235/55/18 (the MXV4 model was the OE tire on my RX400h). Previous owner had just bought them and then put winters on his car this past winter. Unfortunately (for him, fortunately for me) the car was written off in an accident with the winter tires on, and his loss is now my gain. One of the tires still has the big sticker on it (never installed, as he had a non repairable flat on one of his tires, put his winters on and then bought this one new tire to replace it).

I know the MXV4 doesn't get rave reviews, but one thing I'm happy about is that I can now include my full size spare (which also has an MXV4 on it) in my rotation pattern. The previous owner of my RX had never done that with the full size spare. These tires should last me quite a few years, since I use winter tires as well and can spread my mileage between both sets, plus I'm rotating five instead of four.

Forgot to mention, I paid $80 a piece, which is ridiculously cheap.