25 Mpg In My 1992 Ls400

wuzzy1

Greetings Lexus Gents,

I recently took a 1200 miles round trip and found I was getting 25 miles per gallon!

Needless to say I was astonished!

I was telling this to a mechanic I know, and he said it is because the V8 engine in the 1992 Lexus reverts to running on 4 cylinders when cruising on the Interstate.

Is this true?

I've had this car for 5 years, the mechanic I purchased it from said to "Drive it" and I have done just that. What a Car!

It looks like a $50,000 late model and most people would never have a clue that it's a 1992 and it blows em' away when I tell them how old it is. It drives like a dream and the interior is perfect too. My neighbors have alluded to the fact that I obviously have money cuz I "drive a Lexus"!

Truth is, I'm a retired old !Removed!...I just wish I would have had this car when I was young!

The LS does NOT run on four cylinders at any time or speed. Sorry your mechanic is wrong. Unplug the distributor near the coolent filler bolt in the front and center of the engine, turn the car on, and tell me what it sounds like to have an engine running on four cylinders.

If I ever get 25MPG I will soil my self. Thats awesome man!! Your LS has to be very well maintaned to be 18 years old and get that kind of mileage. I'm jelous. :cries:

Hey wuzzy1, your 92 is like my 94 LS400: It was sold with EPA Estimate of 18mpg City, 23mpg Hwy, so you were doing freeway driving, probably driving conservatively on cruise control (not rapid start/stops like a teenager). fueleconomy.gov says they revised numbers down in 2008 to match current rating method, so mine is now 16/22, but I get 19 around town.

Tire pressure is usually at 30psi?, so did you bump it to 35psi?

How about inflating to max sidewall listed pressure, like 45psi?, then drafting REAL CLOSE behind a big rig semi truck so he can suck you along with him?

I dont like doing that, because if he ever lets off the gas, or hits his brakes, I gotta brake real quick and the ice sloshes out of my martini glass into my lap.

If you want to learn a lot about your car, type your year, model number into GOOGLE follwed by the word "wiki"... read the wikipedia article that pops up about your car, then scan all the other results. Edmonds.com has car reviews, etc. Seems like the first generation Lexus was one of the top five cars built in the last century. The LS430 series was rated top luxury car each year. Latest LS460 series has fantastic electronics that amaze even Neil Armstrong. (if there isnt a software glitch) ...

"Watch This, this car parks itself"...WOAH, What's Going On?, Hey, Hey, Hey...

I have gotten as much as 26mpg with my 1990 LS400 although I usually average around 23-24mpg since I probably travel faster than most people. I figure that if I can get 24mpg going 75-85 mph with an occasional burst to 90-95, I am happy. Around town is another matter since I usually get aroun 17-18mpg. If it wasn't so much fun to "get on" this car, I could probably do 20mpg but since I couldn't care less about gas milage, I don't.

The LS does NOT run on four cylinders at any time or speed. Sorry your mechanic is wrong. Unplug the distributor near the coolent filler bolt in the front and center of the engine, turn the car on, and tell me what it sounds like to have an engine running on four cylinders.

If I ever get 25MPG I will soil my self. Thats awesome man!! Your LS has to be very well maintaned to be 18 years old and get that kind of mileage. I'm jelous.:cries:

Thanks killerfatty for the feedback, I'm gonna' tell the mechanic who told me that and see what he says. I change oil every 3-5 thousand and every other oil change I drain about 4 quarts of transmission fluid out of the tranny pan and replace. This is gonna' blow you away...for the past 3 years I have been using nothing but the cheapest gas 89 octane, and for the first few weeks the car didn't like it...THEN...it began liking it and it runs fine with it! 25 mpg burning the cheap stuff! Keep the tires at 35 lbs about 37 running hot on the interstate. Sun roof opened, seat reclined, enjoy the ride!

Hey wuzzy1, your 92 is like my 94 LS400: It was sold with EPA Estimate of 18mpg City, 23mpg Hwy, so you were doing freeway driving, probably driving conservatively on cruise control (not rapid start/stops like a teenager). fueleconomy.gov says they revised numbers down in 2008 to match current rating method, so mine is now 16/22, but I get 19 around town.

Tire pressure is usually at 30psi?, so did you bump it to 35psi?

How about inflating to max sidewall listed pressure, like 45psi?, then drafting REAL CLOSE behind a big rig semi truck so he can suck you along with him?

I dont like doing that, because if he ever lets off the gas, or hits his brakes, I gotta brake real quick and the ice sloshes out of my martini glass into my lap.

If you want to learn a lot about your car, type your year, model number into GOOGLE follwed by the word "wiki"... read the wikipedia article that pops up about your car, then scan all the other results. Edmonds.com has car reviews, etc. Seems like the first generation Lexus was one of the top five cars built in the last century. The LS430 series was rated top luxury car each year. Latest LS460 series has fantastic electronics that amaze even Neil Armstrong. (if there isnt a software glitch)

... Greetings SLORICK, I like the idea of a martini glass, I'll have to try that some full moon night with the roof opened. Thank you for the wiki tip. Currently drinking a beer celebrating having spent 3 hours replacing the lower ball joints. CHEERS!

"Watch This, this car parks itself"...WOAH, What's Going On?, Hey, Hey, Hey...