9lg Update And Brake Assist

siva kumar

I had my software update recently and I feel the drive is a little more smoother, rather than the bulky feel generally ES350 has. But one thing, previously when ever I turn a little fast, my car would automatically apply the brakes a little and slows down the turn,...I think it is the Brake assist. Even when I am turning in 25 and 30 miles per hour it would kick in and slow down.

But now after the software update I don't think my car is doing that anymore. I have tried it and it doesn't anymore apply the brakes. Not sure if this is just my car or does anyone who had their software update had the same issue.

Is this something caused by the software update. Can anyone confirm and suggest a method to test the brake assist feature on the ES 350 to make sure it is actually working?

Thank you

Siva

Like I said in the other thread, this is your imagination, the car does not apply the brakes on its own under any circumstances...you have to apply the brakes yourself. It may downshift and provide engine braking, but it is not applying the brakes and it doesn't do this when making a turn. The transmission doesn't know if you are turning or not.

The brake assist simply provides full braking power when it senses you apply the brake pedal at such a speed as to indicate a panic stop. The only way to test it is to slam on the brakes and see what happens...

Like I said in the other thread, this is your imagination, the car does not apply the brakes on its own under any circumstances...you have to apply the brakes yourself. It may downshift and provide engine braking, but it is not applying the brakes and it doesn't do this when making a turn. The transmission doesn't know if you are turning or not.

The brake assist simply provides full braking power when it senses you apply the brake pedal at such a speed as to indicate a panic stop. The only way to test it is to slam on the brakes and see what happens...

it may not be the brakes..its the anti skid tech or whatever that this car has and i can clearly tell the difference and I have always noticed it for the past 2 years, until the update.

Unless you are skidding, its not the VSC either. The VSC will beep and the traction light will flash when it activates.

Are you applying the brakes through the turn when this occurs?

The software fix may have the engine coast at a lower RPM. A lower engine speed could make it feel like it coasts more...probably the feeling you are describing is simply the engine speed and transmission gearing slowing the car down...that combined with the forces of turning may make it feel like the car is doing something special to slow you down, but its not.

Its probably just something you'll have to get used to...

Unless you are skidding, its not the VSC either. The VSC will beep and the traction light will flash when it activates.

Are you applying the brakes through the turn when this occurs?

The software fix may have the engine coast at a lower RPM. A lower engine speed could make it feel like it coasts more...probably the feeling you are describing is simply the engine speed and transmission gearing slowing the car down...that combined with the forces of turning may make it feel like the car is doing something special to slow you down, but its not.

Its probably just something you'll have to get used to...

From Wikipedia it probably the ESC

"Electronic stability control (ESC) is a computerized technology that improves the safety of a vehicle's stability by detecting and minimizing skids. When ESC detects loss of steering control, ESC automatically applies the brakes to help "steer" the vehicle where the driver intends to go. Braking is automatically applied to individual wheels, such as the outer front wheel to counter oversteer, or the inner rear wheel to counter understeer. Some ESC systems also reduce engine power until control is regained.[1] Electronic stability control does not improve a vehicle's cornering performance"

This is exactly what I am talking about as I could feel the brakes apply on the outer side.

As Steve said, you should be seeing your TRAC warning light in the instrument cluster flash and hear a loud beep-beep-beep if your VSC is detecting a skid and selectively applying your brakes.

Siva, have you ever heard your VSC warning sound beeping? If you aren't certain, take your car to a large empty parking lot on an icy day and drive it in a tight circle until you lose control -- you should first see the flashing TRAC warning light and then hear the VSC beeping when you start to skid out of control.

I heard the VSC beeping sound several times times this morning during a 60 mile round trip to the airport in the ice and snow storm we are having here in the Kansas City area. I've never seen so many tow trucks pulling cars back onto the road and towing damaged ones away ... seemed like about one off-the-road vehicle per mile. Most people slowed down to less than 35 mph on the Interstate. It was strange to see a few people flying by at far faster speeds but I got to see some of them again later -- sitting in their cars stuck in the median or off the side of the highway.

As Steve said, you should be seeing your TRAC warning light in the instrument cluster flash and hear a loud beep-beep-beep if your VSC is detecting a skid and selectively applying your brakes.

Siva, have you ever heard your VSC warning sound beeping? If you aren't certain, take your car to a large empty parking lot on an icy day and drive it in a tight circle until you lose control -- you should first see the flashing TRAC warning light and then hear the VSC beeping when you start to skid out of control.

I heard the VSC beeping sound several times times this morning during a 60 mile round trip to the airport in the ice and snow storm we are having here in the Kansas City area. I've never seen so many tow trucks pulling cars back onto the road and towing damaged ones away ... seemed like about one off-the-road vehicle per mile. Most people slowed down to less than 35 mph on the Interstate. It was strange to see a few people flying by at far faster speeds but I got to see some of them again later -- sitting in their cars stuck in the median or off the side of the highway.

Thank you all for your input. I was just concerned if I was missing something after the update.

From Wikipedia it probably the ESC

"Electronic stability control (ESC) is a computerized technology that improves the safety of a vehicle's stability by detecting and minimizing skids. When ESC detects loss of steering control, ESC automatically applies the brakes to help "steer" the vehicle where the driver intends to go. Braking is automatically applied to individual wheels, such as the outer front wheel to counter oversteer, or the inner rear wheel to counter understeer. Some ESC systems also reduce engine power until control is regained.[1] Electronic stability control does not improve a vehicle's cornering performance"

This is exactly what I am talking about as I could feel the brakes apply on the outer side.

No, thats not it. The VSC (Toyota's version of stability control) will only kick in if you are skidding, not when simply cornering normally. And if it does it will beep and the traction light will flash.

Your own quote from Wikipedia says that:

When ESC detects loss of steering control, ESC automatically applies the brakes to help "steer" the vehicle where the driver intends to go.

When ESC detects loss of steering control. Meaning...the car is out of control. What you are describing is a normal cornering motion...with the vehicle under control.

Electronic stability control does not improve a vehicle's cornering performance

So under normal cornering as you have described...ESC does nothing.

Asking us questions won't do you any good if you won't listen to what we are telling you.