Timing Bewlt Parts Kit

curiousB

Hello all,

Getting ready to do my timing belt (90k miles '04-LS430) in a few weeks. Just priced all the parts (belts, idlers, tensioner, serpentine, thermostat gaskets, o-ring, and water pump) on www.parts.com and came out to about $350. I believe these will all be OEM/Lexus parts from this source. Looks to be about $100 saving from dealer.

Just as a double check I went on eBay and saw this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-09-Lexus...sQ5fAccessories

Normally I am pretty inclined to use OEM parts since my real savings is in the labor and satisfaction of seeing it done.

That said $200 price differential from non OEM to OEM is substantial. Anybody used one of these non OEM kits and have an opinion on it? I was surprised at the price difference. Seems too good to be true.

Here is my post about 3 months ago...

I just done one of my 97's a couple of months ago, and YES you will want to do it all at the same time, if you pay someone or do it yourself, lot of work and lot of time.

my parts came from:

http://www.store.partsdinosaur.com/page247.html

everything fit perfect, and the car runs fantastic.

NO LEAKS, NO ISSUES.

and this is still true.... cheers

Normally I am pretty inclined to use OEM parts since my real savings is in the labor and satisfaction of seeing it done.

You've answered your own question. OEM! Imo overall difference for a TB service of only $200 with the satisfaction of having saved all that labor and knowing the parts haven't come from china, is more than worth it. $200 difference for an oil change is substantial - for a major service, not at all.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll stay OEM. In my mind the issue is OEM parts have been manufactured to Lexus's specifications and quality requirements. Lexus is putting their name on the line so I’m sure they’ve put in place the quality controls needed to assure the outcome. I doubt many parts are actually made in Japan and few are made by Lexus. Where they are made is secondary to me its whether Lexus has qualified them as a supplier and the vendor is meeting the full requirement of Lexus specs. I suspect many come from mainland China.

I might be inclined to take a risk with a brake pad or an oil filter but due to the interference nature of this engine I don't think it’s worth the risk. So I'll pay the $200 more and have peace of mind.

YEP, go OEM, that way you never get any parts that are not made in JAPAN,

not from the USA, Europe, Russia, or anywhere in the world but JAPAN.....

OEM all the way....

take 2 asprins and get plenty of rest

That's not dripping with sarcasm, is it Billy? :D

Actually, my timing belt was made in the US of A.... (of only the finest Chinese materials <_< ) :o

Where'd I put them aspirins.... :lol:

Them be OEM too, right? :P

"What?" says the patient, "fake pharmaceuticals, in the US?" "Never heard of such a thing!"

"Oh no no, not fake, just chinese!" says the doctor. "They don't always work, but they're real cheap! You really save big time on the critical treatment drugs just like expensive airplane parts. Best bargains on the planet!":chairshot:

DISCLAIMER - Preceding opinions are those of the poster and do not necessarily reflect those of the chinese gov't in any way shape or form.

OEM all the way....

Actually, my timing belt was made in the US of A.... (of only the finest Chinese materials <_< ) :o

well, you know how old people are.... rude, opinionated, (maybe just a little sarcastic), but< after working for GMC Truck & Coach Division of General Motors, in Parts supply, and after 30 years of running my own 7 stall garage and using OEM and aftermarket parts, comparing them, seeing results, and knowing there are only a few real companys that make parts, I know some things I would not like to put in print here.... better stop... put the aspirins in the glove until you see me, I'll take them.

Didnt really mean to offend anyone.... but sure would like to keep you from "wasting" your funds.

But, if it brings you peace of mind, it wouldn't be a waste after all....

Truly sorry..

I will try not to post in these areas..

OEM all the way....

well, you know how old people are.... rude, opinionated, (maybe just a little sarcastic), but< after working for GMC Truck & Coach Division of General Motors, in Parts supply, and after 30 years of running my own 7 stall garage and using OEM and aftermarket parts, comparing them, seeing results, and knowing there are only a few real companys that make parts, I know some things I would not like to put in print here.... better stop... put the aspirins in the glove until you see me, I'll take them.

Didnt really mean to offend anyone.... but sure would like to keep you from "wasting" your funds.

Truly sorry..

Billy, no offence taken by anyone, I'm sure! This is no time to get overly sensitive. These types of posts are highly entertaining and give everyone a break from the typical dry, monotonous, same old daily reading on all forums. Just like your car collection over the years, your experience as a professional would be most interesting to hear about. So, now that you've brought it up, please fire away, our ears are burning.

OEM all the way....

Truly sorry..

Billy, no offence taken by anyone, I'm sure! This is no time to get overly sensitive. These types of posts are highly entertaining and give everyone a break from the typical dry, monotonous, same old daily reading on all forums. Just like your car collection over the years, your experience as a professional would be most interesting to hear about. So, now that you've brought it up, please fire away, our ears are burning.

what I meant was I wont post anything about OEM............... you guys can have it.

I think we all enjoy your posts, Billy. I know I do. And I see your point about using the non-OEM to save some coin up front.

Now, if anyone wants to stay OEM AND save a ton of money, my old Toyota parts await. :lol:

I have a water pump, tensioner, pulleys, strutrods all in decent condition. And I am finding it hard to throw the stuff in the trash!

Just dont want to see it end up in the landfill. But no one really wants it. Guess its a nice addition to my junk collection.

Hey, maybe Goodwill..... ;)

I think we all enjoy your posts

Ditto.

I have a water pump, tensioner, pulleys, strutrods all in decent condition. And I am finding it hard to throw the stuff in the trash!

Just dont want to see it end up in the landfill. But no one really wants it. Guess its a nice addition to my junk collection.

Hey, maybe Goodwill..... ;)

Landar, how about sending them to china. They'll fix them up and sell them back to us all shiny and new! :P