Timing Belt Decision...

jdavis

well here is my 2cents worth...

A few months back I replaced the belt/pump/pulleys on my 97, at 240K, the first one was done at 123K. I dont know if they replaced the cam/crank seals, but I didnt.... there were no signs of leakage, and nothing is leaking now... I am 76, retired mechanic/garage owner, my nephew helped me and it took us a little over 6 hours .... and it was our first LS to do.. I did research it out, completely, but it was not hard to do , just time consuming..

so... what ever that is worth..

but I will add this....

IF your seals were RUBBER, I would check REAL good, bacause RUBBER never quits curing, ever. that is why tires "dry rot" and wiper blades get hard...

cheers

Hey jdavis, if not too late, review todays or this weeks NEW posts. I just posted about my timing belt.

$1095 Total, $720 Labor, $375 Parts, inc. $193 Water Pump recommended to do at same time.

My 90K Service was $508 Additional, $297 labor, $211 Parts.

Lexus Repair Manual showed me procedure, but NOT mentioned there or here is:

External Sepentine Drive Belt is being removed and replaced, as are 8 spark plugs. Why not replace them at same time instead of redoing, AND have cylinder compression test reading taken and recorded too for a baseline.

Crank & Cam Seals seems extra, but mechanic poster knows more than me.

jdavis,

For what it's worth, it cost me about $780.00 US to get the timing belt on my '92LS changed. Did it at an out of town Toyota dealership after I made certain that the mechanic who would do the work had actually work experience on the LS400. Had to go that route because the local Toyota dealership has yokels for mechanics, and the nearest Lexus dealer is eithe Jacksonville Fl, or Atlanata Ga! The locals yanked out my #3 speed sensor (OD sensor) wire causing the OD to malfunction (confirmed by the out of town dealership).

Anyway, the $780.00 included the following:

1. Change Timing belt.

2. Change drive belt.

3. Change waterpump.

4. Change both upper and lower radiator hoses.

5. Change the cam seals.

6. Replace the spark plugs.

7. Change the spark plug tube seals

8. Replace the EGR valve.

9. Replace the valve cover seals.

10. Replace the spark plug wires.

I supplied the following all genuine Lexus parts ordered from Sewell and/or Toyota dealerships:

1. EGR valve.

2. 8 spark plug set.

3. Spark plug wire set.

4. Valve cover gasket set.

The did other work as well, but that was not included in the price listed. I am happy that I checked out their mechanic before I left my car with them since I am confident that the work was done right, unlike it would have been if I had left the car at our local Toyota dealership (who refused to reimburse me, by the way for the damage to the OD speed sensor - cost $125.00 to fix).

HTH

Mike