Vaistech Sl2i-up Vs Usa Spec Pa15-toy

jayrodclg

i have a 2001 ls430 with NAV/ML. i want to integrate my ipod classic 120gb into my stereo, maintaining all steering wheel controls and a clean factory look. i was wondering if anyone had any experience with either or both of these units. i've looked at both units online, and like the lower price of the usa spec but i liked the way that vaistech described their unit more than the way usa spec does(they state that there is no guarantee that itll work). but i just wondered if someone had info to sway me one way or the other. anything helps. thanks.

i have a 2001 ls430 with NAV/ML. i want to integrate my ipod classic 120gb into my stereo, maintaining all steering wheel controls and a clean factory look. i was wondering if anyone had any experience with either or both of these units. i've looked at both units online, and like the lower price of the usa spec but i liked the way that vaistech described their unit more than the way usa spec does(they state that there is no guarantee that itll work). but i just wondered if someone had info to sway me one way or the other. anything helps. thanks.

I've had the original Vaistech unit (the SLi) in my '01 LS430 for about 3 years. It works exactly as advertised. Every once in a while (maybe couple months) I have to reboot the ipod, but I think the problem is with that particular ipod (I frankensteined it back together) as opposed to the box itself. The newer SL2 units supposedly have better sound quality; but they were unavaliable when I did my upgrade.

I have the unit in my lower glove box and ran the wire out the side into the center stack where it connects underneath the CD changer. I built a little stand that covers all the wires and the ECU has a little well to put the ipod in; that ipod basically lives in the car full time. It's completely invisible and most people don't even realize I have one in the car.

I installed it myself; most dealers or stereo shops can probably handle it (it takes about an hour). You need a 10mm socket wrench with extender, a phillips screwdriver, a pry tool and some patience.

I highly recommend it; it will reduce wear on your CD changer; and having 100 playlists at your beck and call is pretty amazing. I'm not sure if the SL2 will work with an '01, also if you use the SLi you might need a charge adaptor. My SLi will charge the 30gb but not my iPod touch although it seems to charge my 120 gb iPod classic.

The staff at Vaistech is also really friendly and knowledgable; I'm sure they'll know what units will work for your car. Good luck!

I can't comment on the Vaistech, but I used to install USA Spec products a few years ago and was not very impressed with their quality. The company I worked for did audio and accessory work for car dealers and we did a ton of CD changer and single CD units for numerous manufacturers, the USA Spec stuff was at best 70% functional out of the box. The Toyota single CD units usually worked fine but the audio output was much lower than the OE units, and Mazda CD changers would randomly jump discs when in use. Other products would just be DOA brand new or have problems syncing up and require constant resetting. They may have alleviated some of their quality issues but I'd be cautious.

I've had both the SLx with an aux input for my iPod in my 2003 LS, an SLi in my wife's former RX400h and now a SL2i and SL2x in my 2005 LS. I've been very happy with them all, however I do notice an improvement with the newer models (SL2). Sound may be a bit better, but I don't get the same delay when using satellite radio (tuning to or changing between stations) that I used to get with my SLx. My wife also had to reset her iPod periodically with the SLi. We now have the SLx and SLi in our 2009 Prius. I'd go with the SL2 models if I were you (if it will integrate with an 01).

• 3 weeks later...

I recently installed the SL1 into my 2001 LS430. No longer need the cassette tape adapters. I had two. One for the Ipod and one for my Garmin 550 that I use to bluetooth my cell phone into the car speakers.

My reason for commenting here is I would recommend installing the SL1 into the arm rest box. I had CDs in there but with a 160gb Ipod I will seldom use a Cd.

The wood grain center console snaps in and out. The wire that comes with the SL1 is long enough to reach between the back of the radio and the arm rest box. If you want the cup holder to funtion, you will have to spend more time snaking the wire under and around stuff to avoid interference with the cup holder in the retracted position.

So now I have AM, FM, FM1,CD,Tape,MD (with 98 playlist each capable of holding 999 songs) and AUX (playlist 99).

The mode switch on the steering wheel will not toggle to the MD emulation disk. I have to use the radio button to select either the MD or AUX. Once in MD I can use the steering wheel controls to toggle through the entire playlist of the Ipod.

I can raise/lower volume and toggle through all records on playlist.

If a phone call comes in I push FM then Disc to toggle to the Aux. Now I can listen to the caller over the stereo speakers.

A bonus benefit of the SL1 is that you do not have to push "Agree" on the GPS screen at each start up.

So far I am very pleased with the installation and performance of my Vais SL1.

Linheart