Check Engine Light

dgbrown

I have a Lexus Rx300 I replaced the battery yesterday and now this morning the check engine light and VSC light are showing on the dash console. Is this something that may happen with a battery change or something I need to have a Lexus dealer look at ? If it needs to be looked at can anyone look at it ie: a Toyota dealership or is it best at Lexus ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

There should be no direct relationship between changing out your battery and the appearance of the Check Engine and the VSC lights. I've replaced or disconnected the battery on my RX300 multiple times over the 10 years of ownership and never experienced the symptoms you are describing. As to troubleshooting, any Toyota dealer should easily run the diagnostics for you since the drive train is pure Toyota. Likely they can do it for less. Some of the chain auto parts stores will pull the OBDII codes but these are generic and may not point you directly at the source of the problem. There are also proprietary Toyota/Lexus codes which the OBDII scanner will NOT be able to read. Another option is a good (keyword) independent shop specializing in Toyota/Lexus service. Their hourly rates are typically no more than 2/3 to 3/4 what the dealer will charge. In most cases, any shop will comp the diagnostic charge provided you let them perform the corrective service. Most dealers will charge you the better part of an hour's labor to run the diagnostics and provide you a printout of the findings.

Lotsa luck.

There should be no direct relationship between changing out your battery and the appearance of the Check Engine and the VSC lights. I've replaced or disconnected the battery on my RX300 multiple times over the 10 years of ownership and never experienced the symptoms you are describing. As to troubleshooting, any Toyota dealer should easily run the diagnostics for you since the drive train is pure Toyota. Likely they can do it for less. Some of the chain auto parts stores will pull the OBDII codes but these are generic and may not point you directly at the source of the problem. There are also proprietary Toyota/Lexus codes which the OBDII scanner will NOT be able to read. Another option is a good (keyword) independent shop specializing in Toyota/Lexus service. Their hourly rates are typically no more than 2/3 to 3/4 what the dealer will charge. In most cases, any shop will comp the diagnostic charge provided you let them perform the corrective service. Most dealers will charge you the better part of an hour's labor to run the diagnostics and provide you a printout of the findings.

Lotsa luck.

Thanks for the info, I just booked it into the local Toyota dealership ($40 for 1/2 hour diagnostic run). I'll post back the results.

Lotsa luck.

Thanks for the info, I just booked it into the local Toyota dealership ($40 for 1/2 hour diagnostic run). I'll post back the results.

What about just holding down the Trip reset button while you srate up your vehicle for several seconds to see if this clears it?

Its worth a try?

Well in this case the VSC and check engine lights = Air fuel sensor needs replacing. $475 later all is good. I called the local (highly recommended) foreign car repair shop (how foreign is a Lexus anyway????), he said NP can replace it but they cannot reset the warning lights.....sheeeeesh.

Now I'm told that at 83K and an 01 model that it is way past a timing belt replacement and that I'm running on borrowed time, wife loves her car BUT it might be time/cheaper to buy a new one !

That's BS, you dont need a timing belt at 83k. They just want money. You can easily get to 90k, I've got to 165k on my camry on the original timing belt. But for peace of mind get it done at around 95k. They are built to go much longer but these engines are interference so you dont want the belt to break or else you will lose the engine. So in short get the belt done around 95k.

We have had this question asked over and over at Club Lexus (another forum), and this is usually the most common answer.

there is a (short!) black rubber vacuum hose located behind (but does not connect to) the back of the air cleaner, just in front of the brake master cylinder, that connects to a metal line that sometimes gets pulled loose when checking the air cleaner element- I suppose it could get pulled loose doing other things as well if one did not know to look for it- when this happens you will get the check engine light, the vsc light, and a code indicating a sensor is bad..... this is not true- just reconnect the hose. but you will have to get the code reader reset. you can also do this yourself as these code readers are only about $30 or 40 for the cheapest one, and you will save that money in the long run by avoiding those "diagnostic fees" that dealers want to charge...

there is a (short!) black rubber vacuum hose located behind (but does not connect to) the back of the air cleaner, just in front of the brake master cylinder, that connects to a metal line that sometimes gets pulled loose when checking the air cleaner element- I suppose it could get pulled loose doing other things as well if one did not know to look for it- when this happens you will get the check engine light, the vsc light, and a code indicating a sensor is bad..... this is not true- just reconnect the hose. but you will have to get the code reader reset. you can also do this yourself as these code readers are only about $30 or 40 for the cheapest one, and you will save that money in the long run by avoiding those "diagnostic fees" that dealers want to charge...

This happens to my girlfriend when she takes her truck to one of those quicky lube places. They leave that hose disconnected every time and it freaks her out. The check engine and VSC lights come on after about 20 minutes of driveing. I go out and reconnect the hose and clear the codes with my scan tool and all is good until she gets her oil changed again. I am the hero then.