Gps/nav Sys

Good evening, all:

I have a 2007 IS 250 AWD. Outstanding car.

2 questions:

1-Being that there is perfectly capable GPS unit in the car, why aren't there updates to the functionality? There are pages/views and/or functions that could be introduced or updated.

2-Can one buy a used nav disk to upgrade to a more recent nav version?

Cheers,

TK

i'll expand on my question:

for example, the nav page that shows the compass rose and lat/long position is nigh-well useless as it is, pretty much wasted space.

Im talking simple things, derived merely from looking at even very basic hand held units. For example, showing elevation above MSL, maybe showing a profile view of he last few miles.

Or better yet, have a "engine data page", where you could have virtual gauges giving you pressures, temperatures in detail about your engine's current function and status. I just made this up, and i'm sure there are hundreds of other creative uses that could be designed by more creative persons than I that would be both cool and useful. Imagine, for example, a page showing you trends in cylinder compression, head temps, oil temp and press, and like data etc etc. THese data points are already captured so its just a software issue.

I'm sure there are 3rd party vendors that would love to do this stuff. Is the system propietary, locked off?

Anyway, just curious about your thoughts

Good evening, all:

I have a 2007 IS 250 AWD. Outstanding car.

2 questions:

1-Being that there is perfectly capable GPS unit in the car, why aren't there updates to the functionality? There are pages/views and/or functions that could be introduced or updated.

2-Can one buy a used nav disk to upgrade to a more recent nav version?

Cheers,

TK

The only companies I've seen that add functionality to Lexus nav systems are companies like VAIS that provide interfaces for devices like iPods and the like: http://www.vaistech.com

Some functionality improvements might be gained by updating the nav to the most recent version: http://www.lexusnavigation.com/faq.php

Toyota/Lexus seems to have reduced their nav update prices recently and increased the update frequency. I think the current retail price of an update is about $200 with some online sellers discounting the price a few dollars.