Question About Rx330 Multi-cd Changer

milehigh5280

Hi,

My wife's 2004 RX330 keeps getting the famous error-3 and error-4 when she tries to remove the cd's that are in the changer. I have read out here that this is a fairly widespread problem. I just called our Lexus dealer and they say it isn't a widespread problem and it will only cost us $900 to replace it with the same crappy unit that won't work now. I guess I have "stupid" stamped on my forehead or they just don't get it. My wife doesn't care about having a 6 cd changer but she does want at least a single cd player. She would also love the ability to put mp3's on a memory card (not an mp3 player), slide the card into the unit and let it play from the memory card. She was recently in a car that had this ability. Does anyone make an aftermarket product that might do this (and yes I'm searching on the net for it also) that would fit into her car without it looking like some kid took a hacksaw and cut out what is there now and duct taped a new one in? I'm hoping someone has actually done this or had someone do it so they can make recommendations. Local auto stereo shops here in Denver get absolutely horrible online reviews so I'm leaning towards a Best Buy or someone who actually stands behind their product and installation.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Calling Lexus was a total waste of my time and a bit insulting.

Thanks,

Don - Denver, Colorado

• 3 months later...

You could remove the CD changer from the dash and send it to one of many repair places on the web (usually about $120-$180) and/or install a DICE Silverline (~$100 through Buy.com) for an Ipod or almost any audio jack aux device; or a DICE Media Bridge (~$200) for a similar adapter that will work with an ipod, almost any USB device (including memory sticks) and almost any audio jack aux device. Look up DICE Electronics on the web.

Keith

Hi,

My wife's 2004 RX330 keeps getting the famous error-3 and error-4 when she tries to remove the cd's that are in the changer. I have read out here that this is a fairly widespread problem. I just called our Lexus dealer and they say it isn't a widespread problem and it will only cost us $900 to replace it with the same crappy unit that won't work now. I guess I have "stupid" stamped on my forehead or they just don't get it. My wife doesn't care about having a 6 cd changer but she does want at least a single cd player. She would also love the ability to put mp3's on a memory card (not an mp3 player), slide the card into the unit and let it play from the memory card. She was recently in a car that had this ability. Does anyone make an aftermarket product that might do this (and yes I'm searching on the net for it also) that would fit into her car without it looking like some kid took a hacksaw and cut out what is there now and duct taped a new one in? I'm hoping someone has actually done this or had someone do it so they can make recommendations. Local auto stereo shops here in Denver get absolutely horrible online reviews so I'm leaning towards a Best Buy or someone who actually stands behind their product and installation.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Calling Lexus was a total waste of my time and a bit insulting.

Thanks,

Don - Denver, Colorado

The unit is made by Pioneer. I read of several people removing the unit and taking it to an authorized Pioneer servive place with good results and a fraction of the stealerships new price - and yes it is a wide spreed problem. It only seems to occur on my RX during the winter.