Humm/whistle At 33-35 Mph When Extremely Cold

I have a 2000 GS300 with around 85000 miles on it. This year we have had some extremely cold mornings in NC. When the weather is below freezing (in the 20's) the car makes a whistling/humm which is very noticeable in the passenger compartment. The noise only occurs between around 33 - 37 MPH and gets gradually less noticeable as the car warms and eventually disappears after 20-30 minutes. Also, if the car is kept warm in the garage the noise does not occur. The noise seems to be coming from the area of the transmission tunnel just behind the front seats although it is difficult to tell where exactly it is coming from.

If I put the car in nuetral and coast the noise remains. If I turn the engine off and coast, the noise remains... and always seems to be in the 33- 37 MPH range.

Could it be the rear engine mount (transmission mount)? Does anyone have any ideas?

Same thing on our 2000 GS300 with 102,000 miles. Sounds like it is coming from the dash/vent areas, but still there with the HVAC off. About 35 to 38 mph and only when cold. Didn't do it last year even with sub-zero weather. Strange.

Drove it yesterday morning (Jan 17 - 30 degrees out) with daughter and son-in-law in the car (both engineers) and they agreed that it was coming from somewhere in the front, but couldn't pin-point where. Dropped the trans into 4th and no noise at any speed. Put it back in 5th and noise came back at 35 to 38mph - went away after about 5 miles.

Yes, it is so loud that it is difficult to tell where it is coming from. I had somebody else ride with me. they seemed to think that the vibration/noise was actually coming from the transmission tunnel although it can be heard throughout the car...

• 1 month later...

I get it as well, it's a weird noise, almost like something you hear in one of those hearing tests at the doctors office. I thought it was my speakers acting up at first, but I'm pretty sure it's coming from the transmission or something in the drivetrain. Plus that makes the most sense considering it goes away after driving a while and things get up to operating temps.

Well that ain't extremely cold.....from a Canadian perspective....

Sounds to me like a door weatherstrip is folded a bit in the chill, and when the interior warms up it conforms better. Wind whistle perhaps.

Sounds to me like a door weatherstrip is folded a bit in the chill, and when the interior warms up it conforms better. Wind whistle perhaps.

Nah, it's not quite a whistle, it's weird to explain. It really only seems to happen after the car has sat overnight and the low has been under 25F.

Doesn't really worry me though, I've heard a lot worse come from a transmission, and it disappears once things start to warm up. The transmission in my moms Odyssey sounds like it has straight cut gears sometimes, like something out of a race car.

• 2 weeks later...

Nah, it's not quite a whistle, it's weird to explain. It really only seems to happen after the car has sat overnight and the low has been under 25F.

Doesn't really worry me though, I've heard a lot worse come from a transmission, and it disappears once things start to warm up. The transmission in my moms Odyssey sounds like it has straight cut gears sometimes, like something out of a race car.

Where are the "SuperMECHANICS" on this forum. Until now I am usually impressed because they usually have an "idea" or know how to guide you to a solution other than have our mechanics rip us off. But no advice on the problem after 4-5 posts???!! I've been having the exact vibration sound during this winter and it's ANNOYYING!!! It sounds almost like a small pin hitting a metal fan as it's spinning from my tranny area.. I can hear in my cabin and it goes away after some driving and when it warms up... HELPP!!! Makes my GS300 seem CHEAP for a luxury car!!!! Now I'm forced to turn my music up to drown out the sound HEEELLPP!!!