Blue Gauges

Just pull equally on both sides. They'll break if you pull one side more than the other.

But honestly, its not a big deal if a clip breaks. I'm a profectionist myself and it doesn't phase me one bit that mine are broken. What you don't see can't hurt you.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just pull equally on both sides. They'll break if you pull one side more than the other.

But honestly, its not a big deal if a clip breaks. I'm a profectionist myself and it doesn't phase me one bit that mine are broken. What you don't see can't hurt you.

Thanks. Absent new pictures, I'll try anyway as you said but believe me, a perfectionist like myself would suffer from things he knows but can't see.. ;-)

Thanks. Absent new pictures, I'll try anyway as you said but believe me, a perfectionist like myself would suffer from things he knows but can't see.. ;-)

Agosin, It really was very easy to take off the bezel when I did it. I was admittedly a little nervous but I did it. I pulled and felt that it moved and I knew then that it would come out without any problem. By the way,remember that when I came up with this acetate method I didn't even know about taking off the bezel so I did it without taking it off. Of course it is better to take it off so I redid it.. Oh, and the acetate that you find will be fine. I don't know if they have a light blue acetate, the one that I got was pretty much a regular dark blue , the dash lights are so bright that I have so problem seeing any of the gauge info and it is actually much more soothing now and very,very nice looking. Good luck. The two clips that hold the bezel in are both at the top, the rest just fits snuggly in the dash.

Yes, I have the same problem (of perfectionism...)! But the bezel looks fine and fits OK even without all the clips. To try and describe: There are four rectangular-shaped holes affixed to the dash ('portrait' orientation). Two are behind the bottom right and bottom left of the 'bezel', and two are more centered, to the right top and left top of the main (large) dial. There are four extrusions on the bezel that fit into those rectangular holes. The extrusions are +/- pyramid-shaped, but thinner and oblong rather than equal sides. Wrapped aarounf the extrusion, on the vertical planes, is a 'v'-shaped ' metal clip. The clip 'locks' into the holes when the bezel is pushed in. When I pulled the bezel out with a force that Superman would envy, I accomplished the following: 'lost' two metal clips that rattled down into the dashboard somewhere (still not retrieved), broke the bottom right extrusion with its metal clip, that remained in the hole. When I tried to remove, pushed it in further by mistake, and lost the extrusion and the clip somewhere in the dashboard (still unretrieved). -- Allof this to say that I do not know what advice to give to remove the bezel leaving it in a better shape than mine was. These da*n clips hold on really well, and brute force seemed the only way to pull them out; but maybe the Lexus procedures would involve some removal of adjacent material first (don't know how, nor how would help). The bezel circumference fits really well and snugly into the dashboard, and if need be, some additional material such as velcro or sticky foam can be aqdded, so the appearance will be perfect even if you screw up the removal....

One of the advantages of a damaged bezel is that it can be removed and re-installed very easily, thus allowing 'testing' of colours without added damage, loss of time, or inhibition. On an added note: to my taste, during daylight hours, I found that the original Lexus lighting looks best, and that is what I have decided to live with, except if I drive a long and dark night trip, in which case I would probably add the green acetate I have to reduce eye fatigue. This will be easy to do. The size of the acetate sheet you need to cover all instruments in my RX350 is a touch less than 14" by 8", and you can 'tuck' the excess around the transparent panel window. Good luck!

Agosin, It really was very easy to take off the bezel when I did it. I was admittedly a little nervous but when I saw the pictures posted earlier in this post and saw the back of the bezel that cduluk took...I knew it would be easy. I think it was page four? Remember that the first time that I did the acetate method of making the blue gauges I didn't even know about taking off the bezel. Oh, and the acetate that you find will be fine. I don;t know if they have a light blue acetate, the one that I got was pretty much blue and the dash lights are so bright that I have so problem seeing any of the gauge info and it is actually much more soothing now and very,very nice looking. Good luck. The two clips that hold the bezel in are both at the top, the rst just fits snuggly in the dash.

Thank you. Yes, it was on page four one could see the back of the bezel but despite a lengthy scrutinize, I couldn't figure out exactly where those clips were supposed to fit. Anyway, I guess it makes me feel more comfortable now that I know there are only two of them and located on the top. Thank you for that additional info and I'll report on my tentative very soon..

By the way, my rx 400h is from june 2006, bears 44'000 km and runs like a beast... So far, I was also impressed by the snow driving performance of this car.

Best from Switzerland!

Yes, I have the same problem (of perfectionism...)! But the bezel looks fine and fits OK even without all the clips. To try and describe: There are four rectangular-shaped holes affixed to the dash ('portrait' orientation). Two are behind the bottom right and bottom left of the 'bezel', and two are more centered, to the right top and left top of the main (large) dial. There are four extrusions on the bezel that fit into those rectangular holes. The extrusions are +/- pyramid-shaped, but thinner and oblong rather than equal sides. Wrapped aarounf the extrusion, on the vertical planes, is a 'v'-shaped ' metal clip. The clip 'locks' into the holes when the bezel is pushed in. When I pulled the bezel out with a force that Superman would envy, I accomplished the following: 'lost' two metal clips that rattled down into the dashboard somewhere (still not retrieved), broke the bottom right extrusion with its metal clip, that remained in the hole. When I tried to remove, pushed it in further by mistake, and lost the extrusion and the clip somewhere in the dashboard (still unretrieved). -- Allof this to say that I do not know what advice to give to remove the bezel leaving it in a better shape than mine was. These da*n clips hold on really well, and brute force seemed the only way to pull them out; but maybe the Lexus procedures would involve some removal of adjacent material first (don't know how, nor how would help). The bezel circumference fits really well and snugly into the dashboard, and if need be, some additional material such as velcro or sticky foam can be aqdded, so the appearance will be perfect even if you screw up the removal....

One of the advantages of a damaged bezel is that it can be removed and re-installed very easily, thus allowing 'testing' of colours without added damage, loss of time, or inhibition. On an added note: to my taste, during daylight hours, I found that the original Lexus lighting looks best, and that is what I have decided to live with, except if I drive a long and dark night trip, in which case I would probably add the green acetate I have to reduce eye fatigue. This will be easy to do. The size of the acetate sheet you need to cover all instruments in my RX350 is a touch less than 14" by 8", and you can 'tuck' the excess around the transparent panel window. Good luck!

Wow!! I hadn't seen your reply when I first answered rxRey and your description pretty much replaces a picture.. lol Thank you. I'll get some sleep now and might try the brute force way on that bezel, later on..

I don't think Toyota has any softer way of extracting it and probably counts on the rarity of such an operation. Probably cheaper for them to fully replace the part if needed.

Thank you for all info.

Cheers from Switzerland.

Wow!! I hadn't seen your reply when I first answered rxRey and your description pretty much replaces a picture.. lol Thank you. I'll get some sleep now and might try the brute force way on that bezel, later on..

I don't think Toyota has any softer way of extracting it and probably counts on the rarity of such an operation. Probably cheaper for them to fully replace the part if needed.

Thank you for all info.

Cheers from Switzerland.

I hadn't looked up your profile, didn't realize you were in GVA. I studied there, and have been back/go back often for work and to see friends. Tout de bon!

Thank you for all info.

Cheers from Switzerland.

I hadn't looked up your profile, didn't realize you were in GVA. I studied there, and have been back/go back often for work and to see friends. Tout de bon!

Let me know when around next time and hopefully, I'll show you my blue gauges... ;-))

Although not yet in possession of the proper acetate, I could not resist but pull that outer bezer to peek below there... Well the good news is I have been able to take it off without damaging any of the 4 clips. Actually, you can check some pictures I post here of the bezer's back and I think the clips are different from the US model, maybe much easier to pull off. I will report again after I find and apply the ideal blue acetate or if pauljcl travels to Switzerland I'd be grateful if he carries a sample with him ;-))

Best to all.

post-94234-1264454578_thumb.jpg

post-94234-1264454628_thumb.jpg

Although not yet in possession of the proper acetate, I could not resist but pull that outer bezer to peek below there... Well the good news is I have been able to take it off without damaging any of the 4 clips. Actually, you can check some pictures I post here of the bezer's back and I think the clips are different from the US model, maybe much easier to pull off. I will report again after I find and apply the ideal blue acetate or if pauljcl travels to Switzerland I'd be grateful if he carries a sample with him ;-))

Best to all.

My apologies, I guess there are four clips. I remember only the two but I really didn't want to take it off again to check. But now this topic has really become very clear for anyone wanting either put the acetate on or to take off the bezel for whatever reason. I think that we all did a great job educating each other and anyone else interested. This is what forums should be about. I stopped being a part of this forum because it got so negative about our car...but this is what I love about car forums...helping each other. Cheers from Los Angeles California...

I am so glad that we found out that there were four clips and not what I remembered to be only two. I remember that the bottom part of the bezel came out so easily that I must have simply supposed that there were only the two that I DO remember. Anyway, it's a neat mod and about as simple as a mod can get. I love that. Rey

Best to all.

Is the white on your clips metal or plastic. They look a little different than mine were... maybe they 'improved' the RX400H over the Rx350 I have...

Send me your address... I'll mail you a cut-out of the acetate. Just let me know is the 14" length I measured for me is sufficient. [You normally can pick it up at an art material store - maybe a call to Brachard (?) - papeterie rue de la Corraterie or the papeterie near the Richmond would help? Photo 'gel' (like for filters or for overhead projectors) would also work fine. Anyway, I have lots of it...

Best to all.

Is the white on your clips metal or plastic. They look a little different than mine were... maybe they 'improved' the RX400H over the Rx350 I have...

Send me your address... I'll mail you a cut-out of the acetate. Just let me know is the 14" length I measured for me is sufficient. [You normally can pick it up at an art material store - maybe a call to Brachard (?) - papeterie rue de la Corraterie or the papeterie near the Richmond would help? Photo 'gel' (like for filters or for overhead projectors) would also work fine. Anyway, I have lots of it...

Well the white is actually yellow and it is plastic. That's probably why I could pull it out smoothly. 14 inches seem perfect. I haven't checked Brachard yet, I'll go tonight if I can get out of work early enough.. Let you know. Cheers.

Best to all.

he.. he.. I went to Brachard where I found blue acetates format A4 which I'm afraid are just a bit too short when turned landscape but I called Beaux-Arts & Perrier at bd Helvétique and they told me they have the blue 60/50cm size which should be more than large enough. So now I will have an "excuse" for staying in the garage tonight... keep ya posted!

I still don't remember having four snaps...I don;t want to pull out the bezel to see but maybe someone else will confirm.

Rey, the mechanics probability is for 4 clips to avoid undue extrusion or vibrations so if I were you, I'd take it as almost certain but you won't know for sure until you peek below the kimono, will you ..lol

Mine is clearly 4 clips as shown on the pic and soon I hope to post the final work..

Best.

This is great. Seven pages on a $0.97 mod. I love it.

Just as an aside, what's with the advertising links? I don't remember them being here before. Like in the post above - "if I were you" is highlighted in green and takes me to some stupid ad...

This is great. Seven pages on a $0.97 mod. I love it.

Just as an aside, what's with the advertising links? I don't remember them being here before. Like in the post above - "if I were you" is highlighted in green and takes me to some stupid ad...

I had the same phenomenon yesterday on one of RXREY posts on the word "extrusion" and did not realize it was linked to ads since I did not open the link.. thought it was just a spell checker highlight..

Yes, I know, this has been a funny post....my little idea is growing. I now have someone that I know loving the idea and did it to his Infinity! Oh, I hadn't noticed the ad thing....weird....

Hey, I just saw all of the ads! Even on the word "Acetate" Let me see if I simply write the word...

acetate

if it highlights that word....interesting in an Orwellian kinda, creepy way... hey, I wonder of Orwell will now be highlighted or Animal Farm?

Hey, the highlighting stopped...or maybe it doesn't do it for me....

I get neither highlighting nor ads.... it's a wonderful world!

I lost track, Paul, did you do the blue acetate mod? If you did, how did it go?

I still don't remember having four snaps...I don;t want to pull out the bezel to see but maybe someone else will confirm.

Rey, the mechanics probability is for 4 clips to avoid undue extrusion or vibrations so if I were you, I'd take it as almost certain but you won't know for sure until you peek below the kimono, will you ..lol

Mine is clearly 4 clips as shown on the pic and soon I hope to post the final work..

Best.

I might take it off to see...It wasn't hard to take off but I'd hate to take it off unless I really needed to.