Remote Doesn't Work On Es330 '04 In Cold Weather

Hi,

I've noticed that the remote will not work on my ES330 2004 in cold weather. It works during the summer and in hot weather; like when I leave the car outside in 80 Degree plus weather. Can anyone kindly advise on where I should look to see what the problem is? I've been trying to locate where the wireless receiver is in the car to check the wiring but cannot locate it.

Thanks,

Alex

airball2006,

Over the years that I've worked on cars with keyless entry systems, the most common problem with the remotes not working correctly was a weak transmitter battery or a dirty battery connection in the key fob. I would definitely eliminate that possibility first before you look anywhere else. Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply. I had replaced the battery on the fob because I thought that it had gone bad, but after replacing the battery, the same thing happened. I still couldn't open the door with the remote. However, one day, I had left my car out in the parking lot and the car was hot that day and for some reason it started working again. Now that the cold weather is back, it stopped working again. Does anyone know the location of the receiver so I can check the wiring of it?

Hi, I had the same problem with my 2000 ES300. I can't open the car with remote while the car is parked like for overnight. I have to use the key to open it. But after I drive the car, then I can use the remote as usual. What could cause this problem?

• 5 weeks later...
Same problem with my 96' ES300.

Had same problem with a 2001 ES300. My spare key wouldn't work either. Then I noticed the red light on my spare keyfob would not flash when I pressed buttons. A sure sign the battery was dead. I went to Radio Shack, purchased a battery (CR1616 3Volt Energizer) and put it in the spare key. Now the keyless remote works like a champ.

Not to overstate the obvious - but when replacing the battery, probably important to put it in the correct way ("+" side up). Only other comment I have is to confirm your red LED is flashing bright when pressing a control button. If the light is dull or not glowing - battery should fix the problem.

Shaun

• 4 years later...

Hello from Graeme

I hope you did not throw the remote away. I suffered the same problem with a remote that was reluctant in cold weather. If it was in my pocket there was never an issue but picked up from a cold room, no go.

This difficulty was new to the key fob after about 16 years use so how could we blame Quality Control.

The repair I made was to resolder the battery contact on the top surface of the circuit board. It was the trident shaped one that was dry joint on that side only. The underside was loaded with a blob making good contact with its track. The hole through and connection to the top of the board I assume was Not Good because after some soldering on the top :-) no more problem.

I found this while playing with the broken remote holding the battery in place with my fingers when the intermittent fault was on. To make it good I had placed the remote on a fireplace to warm it up but it only worked for a very short time before it cooled to faulty. It was mainly luck that a slight twisting of the battery whilst I was testing with a volt meter indicated the possibility of a dry joint.

Because the remote was crook I had done some wierd stuff with the circuit board in an effort to recover it including washing with contact cleaner, hot water, and lastly a turn in the dish washer.

I am satisfied that it is repaired now. A good feeling made better knowing that it cost nothing other than a bit of time to fix.

Edit: My car is ES300 1996 three buttons on top and panic button under side so reference to my particular battery contact arrangement may not be that helpful for your car.

Sorry.

Have a go. I wish you luck.

G

Gentlemen,

From years of working on all kinds of electronics and from wrenching on cars I can tell you that a lot of failed electronics come down to bad electrical connections. Many automotive failed electronics are the fault of cold solder joints.

The circuit board in the key fob most likely has a cold or broken solder joint that can be spotted with a magnifying glass and then resoldered. These type of fixes can be found all the time on YouTube.

For instance, the 4x4 electronic switch on the dash of many 2000 to 2007 GMC and Chev pickup trucks. They work when its hot because the metals expand and touch, but not when cold because the metals shrink away from each other, hence the broken solder joints.

If you're handy at all try the fix, or take the key fob to a place that fixes electronics and ask them to do a quick look see for bad joints. A $10 fix at most, if you're lucky.