Performance Package Chrome Wheels

rswansbro

I have a 2004 RX330 with 18" performance package original equipment crome wheels. The chrome is lifting off the wheels as a result of corrosion. Unlike the wheels, the car looks great. Any cost effective ideas for replacing the wheels? Has there been recalls on these whells?

It's a common problem with chrome wheels, especially with the snow, sand and salt. Even if the car was still under warranty, Lexus wouldn't budge if they've been in the snow.

The chrome wheels from Lexus aren't really made from Lexus, they just outsource a company to do them. Even the highest quality chromed alloy wheels won't survive a winter with the elements and all.

You really need a separate chrome set for the summer and a factory silver set for the winter. That's what i do and the chrome stays perfect.

You can buy a set of factory wheels that've been chromed (probably from the same people who Lexus uses) for around $800- for all 4.

I bought a new chrome set for my 400h WITH new tires for $1300 shipped. If you look around even you'll find some good deals.

It's too late for you but my Lexus dealer replaced my badly corroded chrome wheels with no haggling at three years under the car's 4 year / 50K mile warranty. The original owner/lessee used the chrome wheels in winter -- bad idea. The first thing I did when I bought the car was to buy a set of painted wheels and snow tires. The replacement chrome wheels have been used only in summer and still look perfect after 6 years.

You could have your wheels rechromed through a Lexus dealer or a wheel shop. My next door neighbor had his Lexus LS wheels rechromed over one winter while riding on his painted wheels and snow tires.