Tip On The Steering Rack Solenoids...

90LS400Lexus

For those of you that are battling or may battle in the future (and you eventually will) the power steering rack solenoid on your 1990-94 LS400, keep in mind that somewhere between 1991 and 1994, they changed the electrical "plugs" on these solenoids. I have a 1991 LS400 and our good member Billy Powell on here was able to salvage me one off of a crashed 1994 LS400 and while the solenoid itself is indentical, my dad called me at work today to tell me the 94 LS solenoid would not plug into the rack on my 1991, as the connector is slightly different. My guess is that they may have changed the connectors on the solenoid in 1993 when Lexus did those what, "99 updates"? <_<

He had to actually cut the connectors off of both of these and splice the end of my solenoid connector to the 94 solenoid. Sadly, I still have heavy and stiff steering, so apparently it was not the issue, unless the changing of this end caused it to malfunction. I dont know, but I know this is really frustrating.

Tomorrow, my plan is to try one LAST thing... I am going to clean the screen in the bottom of the power steering pump and see if that is the problem... other than that, all I know is that the pump and/or the rack itself is shot. Not good news for a poor guy and why a poor person should never own a old LS400 with over 200K. ;)

Thanks to everyone for the info and replies over this 6 month battle I have had with my power steering issues... its been one thing after another. I finally got the leak and the idle-up valve smoking issue resolved, then everything else started happening with the steering. Oh well. :(

Just wanted to pass this info along on the changes.

For those of you that are battling or may battle in the future (and you eventually will) the power steering rack solenoid on your 1990-94 LS400, keep in mind that somewhere between 1991 and 1994, they changed the electrical "plugs" on these solenoids. I have a 1991 LS400 and our good member Billy Powell on here was able to salvage me one off of a crashed 1994 LS400 and while the solenoid itself is indentical, my dad called me at work today to tell me the 94 LS solenoid would not plug into the rack on my 1991, as the connector is slightly different. My guess is that they may have changed the connectors on the solenoid in 1993 when Lexus did those what, "99 updates"? <_<

He had to actually cut the connectors off of both of these and splice the end of my solenoid connector to the 94 solenoid. Sadly, I still have heavy and stiff steering, so apparently it was not the issue, unless the changing of this end caused it to malfunction. I dont know, but I know this is really frustrating.

Tomorrow, my plan is to try one LAST thing... I am going to clean the screen in the bottom of the power steering pump and see if that is the problem... other than that, all I know is that the pump and/or the rack itself is shot. Not good news for a poor guy and why a poor person should never own a old LS400 with over 200K. ;)

Thanks to everyone for the info and replies over this 6 month battle I have had with my power steering issues... its been one thing after another. I finally got the leak and the idle-up valve smoking issue resolved, then everything else started happening with the steering. Oh well. :(

Just wanted to pass this info along on the changes.

very sorry it didn't work for you, but I really like the "deep clean" ps pump article I sent you.

here it is again, if needed:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...eering+solenoid

good luck. bp