Es300 Doesn't Start Heeelllpppp!

Vinodh

I have a 99 ES300, 125k, bought it from a dealer 3 months back. The car recently started giving me a starting problem.

Most of the times now it doesn't start. Jump start works.

Assuming it must be a battery problem, today afternoon I jump started it and drove like a mile and sat in the car idling it ocasionally rising it to 4000-5000rpm. After 1/2hr, i switched off and switched on immediately. Damn.. it didnot start again!!!

Took my multimeter and checked the battery, to my surprise, it gave a green light and showed 12.04Volts!!

Last time when I jump started the car, i didnot have to do it again and the battery showed me 12V and thought it was good.

Now today it isn't starting even if the battery shows 12V.

Any one had similar problem? Any clues? :o :(

I have a 99 ES300, 125k, bought it from a dealer 3 months back. The car recently started giving me a starting problem.

Most of the times now it doesn't start. Jump start works.

Assuming it must be a battery problem, today afternoon I jump started it and drove like a mile and sat in the car idling it ocasionally rising it to 4000-5000rpm. After 1/2hr, i switched off and switched on immediately. Damn.. it didnot start again!!!

Took my multimeter and checked the battery, to my surprise, it gave a green light and showed 12.04Volts!!

Last time when I jump started the car, i didnot have to do it again and the battery showed me 12V and thought it was good.

Now today it isn't starting even if the battery shows 12V.

Any one had similar problem? Any clues? :o :(

I do not understand what you are refering to with the 12v green light. If you are measuring 12volt right after shutting down the engine, that would be far too low. If it is 12 volt with the engine running, that is even worse. With the engine running, you should have a min of 14.2 to 14.8 volts. If you are reading only 12 that would indicate that the alternator is not putting anything out. After running the car you should see a float charge of close to 13 volts. So I would suggest taking the car to the auto parts store, and asking them to use their tester on it.

I do not understand what you are refering to with the 12v green light. If you are measuring 12volt right after shutting down the engine, that would be far too low. If it is 12 volt with the engine running, that is even worse. With the engine running, you should have a min of 14.2 to 14.8 volts. If you are reading only 12 that would indicate that the alternator is not putting anything out. After running the car you should see a float charge of close to 13 volts. So I would suggest taking the car to the auto parts store, and asking them to use their tester on it.

Yes it is right after i shut down the car. I'll try testing with the engine running. If i don;t find anything encouraging, I'll take it to the auto parts store.

Right when you shut it down, there should be a float charge (also called a surface charge) on the battery, it should read 13. +. so it sounds like the alternator is not running. If you have a battery charger, charge the battery and then take it down to the auto part store and ask them to test it. There could still be battery problems that would prevent it from taking a charge. A voltmeter can tell you some of the basics, but since many auto part stores have better diagnostic tools it would be a good idea to utilize them. Since they will check it for free, it is time well spent.