Battery Replacement

SRX

Over the years, I've noticed several posts regarding battery replacement. Since cold weather is beginning to arrive in some parts of the country, the following information might be helpful.

The November 2009 Consumer Reports, top pick of the 24 series batteries which fit Lexus RX's is the Interstate MTP-24F Megatron Plus with 800 CCA. Second is WalMart's Maxx 24-N with 700CCA (a Best Buy in the ranking). WalMart was $75.00 plus tax and Interstate $112.00 plus tax. Just put the Interstate in my 2005 RX because I liked the somewhat greater cold cranking power it offered since temperatures in my area can be below zero.

A device ($10-$15.00 at parts stores) was used to maintain power during the battery change to preserve settings and the radio settings were all there when finished with the switch. All previous destinations in the navigation system were gone after the switch and the sunroof and power windows had to be reset according to the directions in the owner's manual. No big deal, but I wish the navigation settings were not lost.

When I changed the battery on my 2000 RX, no power device was used and the radio settings were lost, but the power windows and sunroof operated normally after the change. No navigation system on that vehicle.

My Lexus dealership wanted $137.00 for an Interstate battery rated at 575 CCA; $180.00 installed.