91 Es250 With Foaming Coolant Bhg?

Sbca4mi

My 250's temp gage doesn't work and my fans stay on constantly but i have not driven the car since ive gotten it two weeks ago so last night i took the cap off the radiator to see if the fluid was cycling and it sure was cycling but it was foaming white and it wouldn't go away the oil doesn't look milky and I pulled the vavle cover no white build up. So my question is has the head gasket blown or am i just getting exhaust in the coolant?

Thanks for your help

When you say that the fans are on constantly, I asume that you mean the it comes on when it is first started. Is there any smoke out the exhaust? how does it run? Do you have access to a compression tester?

there is smoke that comes out when i first start it but it is pure exhaust like fuel smelling. when i say constantly i mean when the key is even just in the on postion they are on and anytime after that. the car runs but hat an rpm of 2500 while in park at idle. and no i don't have access to a compression tester unfortunatly.

If you didn't find any contamination from engine oil the next place I would check would be the transmission. I have seen the radiator fail at the core where the tranny line cooler is. If it has just started you might get lucky and it will only bleed off from the radiator side being that the cooling system still has pressure until it cools down.

You stated the car was new to you in the last two weeks maybe the previous owner tried flushing out the coolant and what you are seeing is the residual of it. From the symptoms that you have mentioned it sounds like you may have an electrical issue or a faulty sensor causing the fans to constantly run. I would first check the engine coolant temperature sensor on OBD2 its called an ECT. Its job is to measure engine coolant temp, it affects fuel delivery and idle speed as well as the ignition timing and egr. On fuel injected engines it works with the PCM to function as a carburetors "choke circuit"

I am not sure your level of experience so maybe this will help someone else if not you

Thermistors- purpose is to vary resistance according to temperature change inside is a semi-conductor crystal known as a negative temperature coefficient ( NTC thermistor ) Reference voltage is passed through a fixed resistor within the PCM & then through the NTC thermistor. As temperature increases -- resistance decreases and voltage signal decreases which pretty much means you get a voltage drop over the thermistor.

General temp & resistance parameters

-40*F = 100,000 ohms

+210*F = 2000 ohms

Again I can go on and on just trying to help tim