Is250 Snow Tire Size

reyoasian

If you've read my other post regarding snow tires, I've decided on the General Altimax Arctic. (EDIT: Or the Hankook W409. What do y'all think?)

Now I'm deciding on whether to get it in 225/45R17 and keep my original rims or getting new rims in 16" as well

If I decide to get new 16" steel rims for winter, does the tire size 205/55R16 work for the IS250 AWD (Canadian model)?

TireRack recommends 225/50-16 and 215/55-16, but my friend tells me 205/55R16 is fine for it.

What do you guys think?

It is always easier to swap back and forth between two sets. (I have 18" for spring to fall and 17" for winter).

Both sets have TPMS sensors so I don't have to deal with idiot lights if the second set had no sensors.

In regards to your tire selection and using the 225/45-17 as the reference tire.

1. Going with the 205/55-16 will make speedo 0.3% slower. Hardly noticable. Because this tire is the thinnest of the three, it will most likely give you best drivability in snow and slush.

2. Going with the 225/50-16 will also make speedo 0.3% slower.

3. Going with the 215/55-16 will make speedo 1.3% faster. Again, hardly noticable.

Since all three are equal to or less in width and the overall diameters are virtually the same, all three should fit fine.

steviej

It is always easier to swap back and forth between two sets. (I have 18" for spring to fall and 17" for winter).

Both sets have TPMS sensors so I don't have to deal with idiot lights if the second set had no sensors.

In regards to your tire selection and using the 225/45-17 as the reference tire.

1. Going with the 205/55-16 will make speedo 0.3% slower. Hardly noticable. Because this tire is the thinnest of the three, it will most likely give you best drivability in snow and slush.

2. Going with the 225/50-16 will also make speedo 0.3% slower.

3. Going with the 215/55-16 will make speedo 1.3% faster. Again, hardly noticable.

Since all three are equal to or less in width and the overall diameters are virtually the same, all three should fit fine.

steviej

I would do the whole new set with TPM thing except it's so expensive haha.

When you say 0.3% slower, do you mean like...If I'm going at 100km/h my speedo is reading 0.3% less OR if I'm going at 100km/h my speedo is reading 0.3% more?

A substantial amount of stopping power will be lost on dry and wet roads with 205 section snow tires. I'd stick with 225 section width snow tires unless you are going to be driving in areas that get far more snow than Toronto. Snow tires already have less rubber contacting the road due to trend design and you are going to have to be more cautious even on 225 section width snow tires.

I don't see a good reason to downsize to 16" wheels unless you get an especially good buy on a set. Besides, due to the trend to larger wheels, the selection of 16" tires has been drying up the past few years. For example, as of today, Tire Rack has only five models of snow tires in 225/50-16 but they have twenty different snow tires in 225/45-17.

By the way, the first measureable snowfall of the season here in Kansas has largely been washed away by rain, but I'm still heading out to the garage to install my Blizzaks in anticipation of next week's annual Thanksgiving (sorry, you guys in Toronto already had yours!) driving trip.

A substantial amount of stopping power will be lost on dry and wet roads with 205 section snow tires. I'd stick with 225 section width snow tires unless you are going to be driving in areas that get far more snow than Toronto. Snow tires already have less rubber contacting the road due to trend design and you are going to have to be more cautious even on 225 section width snow tires.

I don't see a good reason to downsize to 16" wheels unless you get an especially good buy on a set. Besides, due to the trend to larger wheels, the selection of 16" tires has been drying up the past few years. For example, as of today, Tire Rack has only five models of snow tires in 225/50-16 but they have twenty different snow tires in 225/45-17.

By the way, the first measureable snowfall of the season here in Kansas has largely been washed away by rain, but I'm still heading out to the garage to install my Blizzaks in anticipation of next week's annual Thanksgiving (sorry, you guys in Toronto already had yours!) driving trip.

I got a quote from a place:

4x 205/55R16 General Altimax Arctic + 4x 16" Steel Rims = $840 CAD (ALL Inclusive with tax, mounting/balancing, etc.)

This seems like a good deal?

I would do the whole new set with TPM thing except it's so expensive haha.

When you say 0.3% slower, do you mean like...If I'm going at 100km/h my speedo is reading 0.3% less OR if I'm going at 100km/h my speedo is reading 0.3% more?

The correct TPMS sensors can be had from TireRack.com for a fraction of the dealership cost.

When speedometer reads 60mph (96.6km/h) actual speed will be 59.8mph (96.3km/h): 0.3% slower.

steviej

If you've read my other post regarding snow tires, I've decided on the General Altimax Arctic. (EDIT: Or the Hankook W409. What do y'all think?)

Now I'm deciding on whether to get it in 225/45R17 and keep my original rims or getting new rims in 16" as well

If I decide to get new 16" steel rims for winter, does the tire size 205/55R16 work for the IS250 AWD (Canadian model)?

TireRack recommends 225/50-16 and 215/55-16, but my friend tells me 205/55R16 is fine for it.

What do you guys think?

I was just looking up your choices. The General tire is intended to be studded, correct? If you are not going to insert the studd, then go with something else.

steviej

What do you guys think?

I was just looking up your choices. The General tire is intended to be studded, correct? If you are not going to insert the studd, then go with something else.

steviej

Well, it's studdable, but the reviews on non-studded ones are even better than the X-ICE Xi2...also I think studding is illegal in Toronto..? So I should go with the Hankook W409 then? they are $70CAD cheaper in total price including rims and balancing/mounting. THe reviews on tirerack aren't as good, but i'm sure with safe driving, any snow tires will do...