Trouble Undoing Diff. Drain/fill Plugs!

Mike Floutier

Hi,

I want to change my diff. fluid but I can't get the drain/fill plugs to undo. I could simply put more pressure on the already long bar that I'm using but I'm concerned about damaging something.

What should I do to get them undone?

1. Should I heat them?

2. Am I likely to do any damage by increasing the pressure on the bar I'm using?

Help!!!

Kind regards,

Mike

Apply some PB blaster and let sit overnight, Apply some even heat with a moderate torch and they should loosen up for you. Remember to make sure the fill plug is worked on first, You would hate to drain and not be able to fill.

Thanks DC, I've just got to find out what PB blaster is now, I've not heard of it over here - lol!

Mike

PB Blaster is a penetrant for removing corroded nuts and bolts and many other applications. There are many similar products on the market.

You could try some WD-40. When I changed my diff. fluid in my 93 I had a breaker bar that I just stod on and bounced a little. It came lose and no damage was done. I had heard it was in there tight before I had started so I just went at it. Deffinetly make sure you take the fill plug out first.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks guys,

Ok, I did that and hey presto they are now undone!!

Next questions:

1. Do you need a special "gun" to fill with new fluid or can it be done just using the bottle it comes in, and

2. What is the recommended fluid?

Many thanks,

Mike

A hand pump is used to fill, The fill line is the fill hole, When product drips out it's full.

Check the back of your owners manual for the type of gear oil to use "i think it's 75w, but don't quote me on it". I would strongly suggest using full synthetic gear oil over the normal stuff. My experience with full synthetic in the diff box has been night and day. Things felt much smoother, and quieter too. You never really notice the "white noise" of the differential, until you don't hear it anymore. I use Mobile 1 products myself in all of my cars. I've got full synthetic in my 4runner, which has two differentials plus a transfer box. Talk about a messy and exhausting job!

the hand pump will work great!